1998 Evinrude 200 Ocean Pro idling/stalling issue

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Ok guys been chasing this issue for over a year. I am having an issue where idle drops low and engine dies (more so when engine has been run and warmed up), especially when docking. Doesn't stall in gear, only at idle in neutral. Below is everything I've done or has been done by the marina( have receipts) for owner before me. I even tried running boat on remote 6 gallon tank, but still same issue. Let me know what you might recommend to check or have done next. Thanks for help!

Compression test: #1 115, #2 115, #3 110, #4 115, #6 120

Great spark (boat runs great up to 5200rpms (WOT)

Fuel tank changed 7/24/15 with all new hoses. Fuel tank drained 5/2019

Carbs rebuilt May 2019

Sync & Link May 2019

Adjusted mixtures to 7.5 turns out

Racor water separator 5/2019

New fuel filter 5/2019

New primer bulb 6/2019

Spark Plugs 6/2019

Thermostats 6/2019

Blew air thru fuel vent hose

New sending unit ( fixed fuel guage)

Last edited:

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not sure if your engine has these, timer base? shift switch? powerpacks? electronics can be tough to troubleshoot. do you have a vro pump?
could be something on the fuel side of the pump.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
I do not have the Evinrude but my 1994 150 Yammy had done that for years when warm and it would piss me off and no matter what I did like you carb rebuild fuel cleaned, new fuel pumps adjust timing Blah blah blah and when I tried to dock it would kill, so I just turned the idle up a little higher problem solved it idles a little fast when cold but oh well

Last edited:

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Sometimes after anchoring for a while, I start it up before I pull the anchor and I have it throttled forward a bit in neutral at about 1200-1500rpms to get it warmed up. Once I pull the anchor up go back to the helm and I pull back into neutral and go to put it in gear, it just dies. Start it up again, it might die again, or stumble and move forward a little bit and then die. This might repeat a few times until it gets enough gas to take off. I noticed yesterday when I push in the primer though it will help it take off easier. I don't think its a fuel quality issue, just some kind of intermittent starvation issue.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Going by memory which is fuzzy but I had a 97 ocean pro with the same issue.

Ended up being misadjusted throttle cable. The sync and link on that motor needs to be about perfect so I would get the factory shop manual and take the time to do it myself.

It sounds like everything else is in good shape so I believe it's an adjustment.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Wondering why it would happen intermittently? If cable was misadjusted and sync and lync was off, wouldn't it miss and idle incorrectly all the time? Someone mentioned plugged idle jets too, same deal why would it run good in the beginning and then have a problem once warmed up? Thx

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My issue was similar to yours in that it only happened after the engine was run for a while. I have no idea why that was the case. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the same exact engine and same exact issues. If I remember correctly I adjusted the throttle cable to run a touch on the high end of idle rpms.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
I had the same exact engine and same exact issues. If I remember correctly I adjusted the throttle cable to run a touch on the high end of idle rpms.

Thanks, I was wondering if I do that, will it clunk going into forward and reverse, and would that be bad for the gears? Did you adjust this at the cable or one of the linkage adjustment screws?