1998 Yamaha 225MPH OX-66 HELP PLEASE

Bust it Big

Reaction score
I really need some help with a laymans defintiion on how I could be told the follwing on a boat that ran fine 1 week ago.

Basically I can't start the engine. The engine will turn but not turn over and run. I tried as many times w/o risking hurting other engine parts like starter. I took it to Authorized Yammi mechinic and $275 diagnostic later, I am being told that the Fuel pump is shot which I could handle but they are also teeling me that to fully diagnose the cause, the pump has to be replaced and then can tell me if it is the wiring harness ($500 more) or injectors ($300 more). I am being told the the actualy pump for my motor costs $1005 becuase of some vender thing when the mechanic said the thing is worth about $150???? They will allow me to find a cheaper pump to install but won't warrant it. Does any of this make sense?? Again boat ran fine a week ago and am being told that I will have to pay $1500 just to find out what real problem is.

Qestions:
1. AM I getting taken for a ride?
2. If not, where can I get a cheaper Feul pump for my boat.
3. Can I rebuilt or used pump be used and if so, where can I find one?
4. What woudl cause a short good enough to kill the pump and or wiring harness.

Just doesn't make sense. Please help with any and all questions.

seasick

Reaction score
225HP not MPH.....

The VST pump is an expensive beast, figure $800 and up for the part. Low pressure pumps on the other hand are less expensive, about 50 bucks and there are three of them.They usually don't just die, they die slowly.

It is unlikely that the injectors went bad in a hurry so that's not the issue. You need a fuel pressure gauge to test the VST output. If you turn on the ignition but don't crank the motor, you can hear the VST motor running (remove the cowling first).That mechanic should know for sure if the VST is working (he should have measured fuel pressure).
I assume that the kill switch key is installed. Was there spark? Did it rain really hard while the boat was layed up? (Possible water in fuel..)

It id difficult ti diagnose from this end. I would ask the mechanic how he determined that the high pressure pump is bad.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are a host of testing procedures to diagnose the pump that you can do. It's a process of elimination thing begining with voltage to the pump. The pump is pretty reliable and has a filter on the bottom that clogs quite often. Search here, THT, and boats.net.

jjb232G

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
is the primer bulb hard? Fuel filters OK? Make sure the kill switch is hooked up. A quick blast of starting fluid while cranking will let you know if you are gitteing spark. If these check out pull an injector and check spray pattern. Good luck, John

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
There is a guy in FL that sells aftermarket pumps for around $400. I got one from him and have had no problems. He sells them on ebay. He also sold me the oe low pressure pumps for less than anyone else too. I was back up and going for about $500. You can remove the high pressure pump, dry it good and put 12 volts to it and see how it sounds. Mine was easy as it would not run unless I shook it upside down. If you are mechanically inclined then do it yourself and save more cash for fuel. When you remove the old one you can inspect the filter on it. If it is questionable then replace it too. Probably should replace the low pressure pumps too since you will already be in there.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Back in January I hauled my dads boat to the keys. He has a 2001 150 OX66 that has run flawlessly for 700 hours..it ran fine when I winterized it in December...It would crank and crank and not start..I tried everything I could do....dragged the boat over to the yamaha dealer...first thing he did was remove the plastic check valve in the fuel line between the engine-mounted fuel filter housing and the fuel pump. He removed the inside of the check valve, but it back in the fuel line and the engine started right up.....could be as simple as that....