1999 GW Fisherman 222 Blige repair

Sethkins88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Recently began doing some general maintenance on my 1999 GW Fisherman 222. While working in the Blige I noticed a small crack at the front of the Blige area. It's between the fuel tank divider and the step up the oil tank sits on. Does anyone know what is under the oil tank step in the Blige?

I had a recent survey done that checked the stingers and transom and got a clean bill of health. I plan on getting it repaired soon. But wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Resize_20211020_111233_3465.jpg
    Resize_20211020_111233_3465.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
There isn't a lot under the oil tank platform since the hull angles up from the keel. I wouldn't be very concerned about the crack at this point. I would poke it wit a pointed tool just to bee how extensive it is. I don't think it will be all that deep. In that case, I would clean it out and use a marine sealant (not adhesive) to caulk it.
On my 208, a later model year, the area that you named the gas tank is the behind the fresh water tank not the gas tank.

I also noticed that you photo-bombed your picture. You can see your hand, camera and partial face in the 'halo' made by the access plate!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You guys know that area better than me, but it looks like there would be a short stringer inside that area... running from the red circle towards the bilge pump. If so, my concern would be water intrusion into the wood. I'd be tempted to cut some of the fiberglass away to fully check out the wood... but the dilemma you face with that is sometimes, if you find soft wood, it becomes a bigger and bigger project. If you poke (or maybe cut just a bit away for better access) and it seems good - I would clean/grind a few inches in either direction and reinforce the joint with glass. I'd do two layers of 1708. Depending on what I find, I might be tempted to drill a hole or two down low, close to the bilge floor, to see if there was any trapped water in the space under the shelf/to the port of that short stringer.

Sethkins88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
The platform for the oil tank does not extend the whole way to the transom. I'm not sure what's behind this boxed off area. I may make an opening big enough to get a borescope through and see exactly what's under it.

Sethkins88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Yeah I've got a number of clamps and hoses to replace. Just acquired the vessel and going through it

Sethkins88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hey all, just a follow up from last weekend. I had a couple questions in regards to my new to me 1999 Fisherman. I found a small crack in between the oil tank platform and the wall that backs up to the fuel tank area. Many members assumed it was allowing water into the stringer, transom, etc. I made this follow up post for anyone who runs into a similar situation or wonders what is under the platform.

The oil tank platform is just that, a platform. The area I circled in blue is completely open, isn't closed in on that side. The platform the tank sits on is just a hollow box. There is no access to stringers and obviously not to the transom.

Attachments

• Resize_20211024_133110_0882.jpg
    Resize_20211024_133110_0882.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, that's good. So the tank platform/box is an entirerly separate entity from the bulkhead, then. And what we were all talking about originally is NOT a stringer. During construction, the bulkhead would have been glassed in first. Then the box would have been added. So, worst case, the wood that makes up the box gets damaged - but that's an easy fix... if it would ever even be needed.

FYI... it looks like the oil tank hold down has seen better materials. Do NOT buy a new Yamaha hold down kit. Way too much money. Instead, get a $10 plastic battery tray - the kind with a black, nylon strap.

Reactions: Sethkins88