1999 Sailfish 272 (2) serious issues.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I believe the far left icon is the one that looks like a thermometer, yes?
If that blinks you will alarm and go into safe mode if you are running fast...i.e. you will "bogg down"
That is a temperature problem which would indicate poor water flow.
Thermostats usually fail open which causes constant cooling not no cooling. However, it is possible they are clogged with salt.
The water pump is the most likely culprit. How well does it pee?

If the alarm is an oil alarm, it fits with your other statements.
When the big oil tank reads empty you get an alarm and a blinking oil icon but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go to safe mode until the small tank in the engine reads low.
I don't have the manual available to confirm that but its right there in black & white in the manual.

I have been thru this with mine. I was getting oil alarms and safe mode when running fast.
The big tank had oil but the small tank was down about half. I filled the small tank with oil. If I turn them off and on again to clear the alarms and ran slow there was no problem.
One electric oil pump in a big tank was rusty. I figured it was the problem and bought a replacement. Let me tell you replacing that is one messy awkward pain in the A..
Long story short, the problem was really caused by a partially clogged inline filter on the big tank. The small tank did not fill up fast enough when running fast but was ok at medium and slow speeds.

Reactions: Gianni

seasick

Reaction score
I believe on the gauge it was the far left icon that was blinking. Im not familiar with the gauge icon meanings, my appologies.

A yamaha mechanic state and gave me a small round oil pump that he says sits below the live well, he stated you must remove live well and thats where the oil pump is, does that make sense?

I havent bogged down nor gone into safe mode the last time, just both alarms sounding.

Your time and information is very appreciated.

I assume you are referring the remote oil tank not the livewell which is where you would keep bait.
Yes there is a round pump, a rather expensive one at that but you have to check the filter also as well as look for gunk in the tank.
The left icon when flashing tells you that the oil tank on the motor (main tank) is low. Alarm will sound and motor should reduce max revs to 2000.

As mentioned there is a manual override pump toggle switch on the motor. Its position depends on the motor model. If the main tank gets low, you can try holding that switch to see if the tank fills. If it does, the pump is probably good but is either not pumping enough oil or is not getting the signal to pump.
As I mentioned, if the tank gets low and remove the cowling, the tank should fill with the ignition on and/or the motor running at idle. It just may fill too slowly.
Do not run the motor with no oil in the main tank!

Gianni

Reaction score
The odd thing is that it didnt go into safe mode. How much are those oil pumps any how? where is the filter for the oil that i can see if there is any gunk. When i pulled cowling off, the two small oil containers were full though. Im trying to find a good yamaha mechanic to come diagnose but I cant seem to find anyone than the guy Ive been using. Hes pretty good, but its always good to have another set of eyes on it as well.

Gianni

Reaction score
I believe the far left icon is the one that looks like a thermometer, yes?
If that blinks you will alarm and go into safe mode if you are running fast...i.e. you will "bogg down"
That is a temperature problem which would indicate poor water flow.
Thermostats usually fail open which causes constant cooling not no cooling. However, it is possible they are clogged with salt.
The water pump is the most likely culprit. How well does it pee?

If the alarm is an oil alarm, it fits with your other statements.
When the big oil tank reads empty you get an alarm and a blinking oil icon but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go to safe mode until the small tank in the engine reads low.
I don't have the manual available to confirm that but its right there in black & white in the manual.

I have been thru this with mine. I was getting oil alarms and safe mode when running fast.
The big tank had oil but the small tank was down about half. I filled the small tank with oil. If I turn them off and on again to clear the alarms and ran slow there was no problem.
One electric oil pump in a big tank was rusty. I figured it was the problem and bought a replacement. Let me tell you replacing that is one messy awkward pain in the A..
Long story short, the problem was really caused by a partially clogged inline filter on the big tank. The small tank did not fill up fast enough when running fast but was ok at medium and slow speeds.

The motors are peeing pretty well. The small oil tanks had oil in them when i pulled covers off. Im curious to know where these small filters are for the oil.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The motors are peeing pretty well. The small oil tanks had oil in them when i pulled covers off. Im curious to know where these small filters are for the oil.
its in the tubing coming from the bottom of the big oil tanks. Go on Boats.net, look up your year & model Yamahas and look at the exploded view of the oil tanks. You can order parts right there at very reasonable prices.

seasick

Reaction score
Those motors don't bog down when the temp alarm is triggered. You can keep on running at speed until the motor blows up.

Did you look at the oil tanks right after you got the alarm or after waiting a while?

Gianni

Reaction score
I looked at the oil tanks about 10-15 mins later...

So in regards to temp alarm and motors not bogging down it may be a water pump issue?

Thanks for all your info

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just saw this comment 'One mechanic stated to add alot of 2 stroke oil to gas, to help this issue. Not sure if that works. '

I would find another mechanic. The oil won't do a thing for the water and may very well foul your plugs

They're OX-66's if you have water in the fuel, a little extra oil isn't going to hurt the 2 strokes.

seasick

Reaction score
They're OX-66's if you have water in the fuel, a little extra oil isn't going to hurt the 2 strokes.
His mechanic advised adding a 'lot' of oil whatever that means

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A thought on the water pump impeller. Even though you put new water pumps in last year, what kind of shape are your housings in? I see a lot of guys put new impellers in and still have heat issues, when I pull the housing I can see that it has melted from previous impeller failures and nobody has caught it. With a melted housing, you loose water pressure for cooling resulting in overheating alarm. Not saying this is the source of your alarm, but if you pull the lower units off, take a look at your housings.