1999 Seafarer 228 hose & fuel tank inspection/replacing

Timcan

Reaction score
This winter I’m thinking of inspecting my fuel tanks. The auxiliary tank is 5 years old replaced by the previous owner( fill hose is original). The main tank is original so I want to take it out and inspect it. I also want to change the fill hoses and fuel lines to the engine. I think I have to cut the front lip out of the main tank hatch to get it out? It looks like the fill hose to the auxiliary tank is going to be challenging to replace. Any tips on how to do this?

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had to remove the support that goes across under the two hatches to get my main tank out. Also had to trim the opening a bit on both sides, maybe 1/4 inch both sides. This is a 1997, large rear main tank. no auxilary was installed in my boat.

Fill hoses will suck to replace. extra suffering with a tank still in place.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
As above,
When I bought my old boat 99 model 228( she was fresh water), I pulled the tank out to inspect ( she was 12-13 years old back then) . The tank was still like new so put it back in. Mine only had the one tank, 95 gal from memory , it was a bitch to take out Just like Doug said crossmember had to be removed as well as trim a bit on each side for the tank to come out. You may have to remove the auxiliary tank as well. Mine had a water tank there and I removed it too. Hoses should be easier to replace when the tanks are out. I didn't replace mine.

Timcan

Reaction score
Both of you thanks for the tip, how did you reattached the crossmember?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Long time ago for me (10-11 years ago) but from memory I cut both ends then re attached and fix it wit S/S screws then re glass it over the joints. It is not as hard as it looks, never the less time consuming . When to job is finished you can't tell you cut anything as you don't need to cut a lot on the sides.
Take photos before you remove anything and note where the wedges are so you can reuse them to secure the tank.