1st Canyon Run of 2008

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first run to the deep for the Canyon' Draggin. We had aboard charters Larry and Lance from Connecticut and Jerry from Maryland.

Based on a 2am Sat shot, we ran to the Norfolk Canyon and found 64.3 degree water. We decided to run through and out the back for that warm 77 to 70 degree spot ESE. On the back side the water climbed to 67 degrees and we saw 2-tones, we stopped and dropped. They were pushing bait up, lots of birds (chicks) and a few tuna birds, so we worked that area for an hour, no hits. We pushed out the back and ran to the corner, 36:50N 74:35, dropping lines short when we picked up 68 degrees. The water was there and it looked fishey, lots of birds. We say NO bait, No whales, No Porpuses, No FISH! We pulled lines around 2:30 and made for a LONG run back to Chinco. It was a nice 30KT run back.

Sorry I could not get this our sooner, we got back to Annapolis much later than planned.
Good luck to this weekends Canyon Hunter's. The water looked good, its bound to turn on like a flick of the swithch, it was just not our day.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Track Image

6%20june.jpg

TunaT

Reaction score
no bites

Kenlahr...I feel your pain.....it was great flat running all weekend, but very few fish to show for the gas used. Sharking was way off even, so I ended up bottom bouncing in the winter quarters up to the bass grounds areas. At least the water has started going in the right direction...temp wise....66 to 68 deg in the inside areas....good luck on your norfolk runs....I hear this weekend might be a blow out...storms etc.....but of course when was the weather man/woman ever right? catch'em up.....

Kenlahr

Reaction score
TunaT; we are hoping to make a run from Ocean City Saturday. Hopefully the weather holds. Last I looked it was 15 to 20 and 3 to 5 which is sloppy, but do-able for us.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
ahill,
Sorry for the late reply. We are running twin 224 four strokes. In all we burned 128 gal. Thats more than normal due to the conditions we were using a lot of trim at times which makes the ride a bit more smoother, but ya pay at the pump.