1st Cruise down the ICW

kendcc

Reaction score
I'm looking to plan a short cruise down the ICW from Brick NJ to somewhere in the DC area (along the VA coast, maybe close to Mason Neck State Park).

This is my 1st venture and am looking for any/All advice. Thought is to keep it to 100-125 miles per day or so. One stop Cape May, the other? Maybe just slog through after the 1st stop?

All thoughts/Advice are very much welcomed, but in particular, interested in hearing about places to dock overnight (especially if close to a motel or a marina that has acomodations), points of interest, timing and places to cross Delaware Bay, recommended (and safe) shortcuts. Also, any suggestions on reading material for ICW cruising?

Thinking about the August timeframe.

Thanks in advance!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I haven't done it since 2000, and I was going the other way. In June, of that year, I brought a boat up from Wilmington, N.C., to Indian River, De. It was a great trip, even with the squall that came up suddenly in Pamlico Sound. But the purpose of that trip was to bring a boat up, so we were not stopping for the scenery. Left Monday morning a 0600, and stayed in Coinjock, N.C. on the ICW that evening. Next morning we departed after fueling and breakfast, and tied up in Indian River by 8PM.

Coming from Brick, Cape May would be a good stop, or you could stop at one of the marinas on the C&D canal. Plenty of good stops once you are on the Chesapeake. Several of our members here, Brian (oncslr), Brian (gw204), and Greg are very familiar with that area, and may chime in with some suggestions.

My advice is to always have up-to-date paper charts with you, even though your electronic chart-plotter has the latest and greatest detail, because if it suddenly goes south on you, or if the sat-system was out for a while, you will be glad you have them. Have some tools, extra fuel filters, and make sure your emergency equipment and ground tackle are in good order, and take a second anchor.

And have fun.

SOJOURN

Reaction score
SHORT TRIP DOWN THE ICW

Completed a similar trip last Augsut from just outside of AC, NJ. Day 1 GE Inlet, thru Cape May Harbor, Del Bay, C & D Canal to Swan Creek/Osprey Point Inn (Behind Rock Hall) +/- 130 miles, 7:30 am to 2:00pm. Spent the next 2 days traveling south on the Eastern Shore and 2 days on the Western shore - Annapolis/Inner Harbor - with the final night across the Bay to Mears Great Oak Marina - Fairlee Creek. (Great place to go on the hook). Last day back to GE Inlet. Total miles +/-350.
Traveling +/- 120 miles a day in most cases is not necessary - So many places to stop & see or just on the hook for lunch or overnight. I would get a copy of the Chesapeake Bay magazine which is a great resource on the who what where and when of crusing the Bay.
Overnight in Cape May is a good idea. SJ Marine is great. From Brick to Cape May outside is a better trip than the ICW IMHO.
We made sure that on the long legs of the trip we left in the early morning to miss any afternoon wind issues - The Delaware can be like the ocean and each day had 2 or 3 bad weather stop overs just in case things got snotty.. Also - a must stop is Annpolis in the day and a short run up the Bay to the Inner Harbor for the night - lots of stuff to do and once you are docked, they have a great water taxi service.
Good luck and we are planning or summer 2009 trip already.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I have made part of your trip - From Cape May to Annapolis. This is about 130 nm and is an easy trip. The Delaware Bay and the Ches Bay are well marked. The C&D Canal is an absolute breeze. I would try to plan to gas up before you get into the C&D since gas is limited and they rape you on the price. (Summit is outrageous) You can stop in Chesapeake City and dock free at the City Dock. From there it is about 2 - 2.5 hours to Annapolis. You can get a slip or a mooring - both are 1st come first serve in the harbor. They have a water-taxi that will come to the mooring and take you into town. A little further south is Herrington Harbor. They have transient slips and is a great place to spend a day or two. They have a restaurant, pool, beach, tiki bar and even efficiency apts on site. Chesapeake Beach is another 30 min south from there. So so restaurant but a nice hotel. Make sure you don't leave anything laying around the boat when you are not there. The marina there is called the Rod and Reel Club, but locals call it the "Rob and Steal Club". St Michaels is across the bay on the east side up into Eastern Bay and down the Miles River. This is a must stopover. It is always rated as one of the top transient places on the bay. Plenty to do and see and many great restaurants. Or for a more relaxed pace go a little further south on the East side down to Knapps Narrows Marina or up into Oxford. Another place that is a must stopover is Solomons, MD. (about 50 nm mile from Annapolis) Many marinas and restaurants. We like the Spring Cove Marina. It is within walking distance to town and the Chesapeake Bay Museum. I'll leave it to the others to get you further south from there. Have fun

The Black Pearl II

Reaction score
trip

did a similar trip. went the IWC from massaqua inlet NJ (the inside) to AC. great trip very easy and well marked. plus trump marina in AC is great fun, and very nice. just $. then i made the trip fro AC (through cap may) all the way to Annapolis. there are great places to stop along the way. yes, get your fuel before you leave cap may. Chesapeake city, did not have fuel last time i was through there. once in the bay, the north part is just wonderful, check out the creeks and back bay. of course you got to go to Annapolis, and then over to St. Michael's, the museum is great there and you can dock with them.

OCgrady330

Reaction score
Have made the trip from OC Md to Mason Neck-Occoquan several times. Delaware Bay can get real rough especially with NW wind. CD canal is great. Sounds like you have enough info about the bay from others. Lots of good spots to stop, try Kent Narrows near the Bay Bridge. Point Lookout on the Potomac River to Mason Neck takes about 3 1/2 hours at 25 knots. River is very well marked and well traveled. Colonial Beach is about 1/2 way and there are transient slips. Other spots to stop are crab houses along the way, Robertsons at the 301 bridge, Tims Rivershore at Fairview Beach. There are plenty of marinas up the Occoquan with transient slips, try Belmont Bay marina it is the first marina on the left going up the Occoquan. Great trip.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ICW Trip

Stopping in Cape my there are plenty of marinas - Utch's, Harbor View, South Jersey, Canyon Club. Unfortunatly Cape May City and stores are too far to walk. You'll need a cab or a car.

I dock at Schooner Island in Wildwood. 5 mile ride to Cape May City. Nice family oriented marina with stores and resturants nearby (2 block walk).

August is tournament time in Cape May so make sure you have a slip reserved.

Be careful with DE bay with the wind and tides. Wind against tide conditions are bad in the bay.