1st Grady White purchase 1989 Tournament 192?

denmarksc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First I wanted to say this forum is great!

I'm looking at an '89 tournament that's for sale. It has a 2000 Johnson 175. Any insite on what to look for in the boat? Should I be checking any paticuliar areas for "softness"?

Any praises or warings about a 2000 Johnson 175?

THANKS!

denmarksc

Reaction score
I'm sure that I want to go with a dual console. This boat is up against an '04 Key West 2020 DC w/ a Yami 150. I'm also considering a newer Sea Hunt 220 Escape w/ a Suzuki 225. I currently have a yamaha f60 on a 17' carolina skiff and change my fluids myself. I'm hesitant to go with an engine other than Yamaha & Honda.

Anyone own a Johnson that's around 12 to 7 years old?

The '89 hull is much older than the other 2 boats I'm considering. Will this be a money pit? Also, I've seen this year listed from $4500 to $14000. Any suggestion on what this specific set up should cost?

I see people reading the post.... how about leaving a comment.

Thanks,

gw204

Reaction score
Between those three, I would choose the newer Sea Hunt first (especially if the Suzuki is a 4-stroke), the Key West second and the GW last..

My Dad has a Triton 220 CC and it appears to be a good, solid boat. Definitely worth the $$$.

I don't know much about the Key West, but I have heard they are solid, well built rigs and you can't lose w/ a Yamaha 150. Is it an HPDI or OX66?

The GW isn't a bad boat, but at 21 years old, it's not in the same class as the other too. Cape Yachts in MA has a '93 Tournament 22. Looks clean and they took it on trade. Mark (the listing broker) told me it will go cheap.... Only catch is it needs a lower unit.

Also, expand you search to older Makos. They used to make dual consoles and are built just as well as GW in my opinion.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
should really have the transoms checked on the older boats. survey should help even on a small gw at that age better to pay to have a pro check it out now than pay big $$$ time later.

My 98 rude is similiar construstion to the 2000 Johnson 175. Just watch the fuel bracket components especially the Fuel evaporator tank, The ethanol seems to make it swell and warp over time. but easy to fix.
One symtom that there is a problem with the evap tank seal is a delay in acceleration. If the fuel line on the bracket are original I would replace them. Compression check before purchase is highly advised, dont accept a report. Have them do it right in front of you or have a trusted mechanic do it. Make sure the Systems check sensors are all working and the engine SLOW mode works. It may save your engine if you have an issue.

they are pretty much bullet proof as long as you take care of them. Most who I have talked to are very happy with them.

Throbbin Rods

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I bought a 1985 Tournament with a 1985 140 HP Johnson 2 years ago and have had no issues whatsoever. Do a compression test on the motor, check the lower unit oil for filings, walk on EVERY part of the deck to check for soft spots - buddy bought a boat last year and didn't do this- ended up putting a new deck in. Those old Johnson outboards will just run and run if you take good care of them.
My .02

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have what you are looking at 1989 tournament 190 with original johnson 150 792hrs. I am third owner had her for four seasons now. Great boat,
check the transom for solidness & the hull for any damage,cracks or blisters, be wary of brand new bottom paint. Only major issue I have had to do was change my fuel tank & hoses, a job that cost about $800.00 & I did the work. Also changed the bildge pump & all electrical switches.
Is it from a dealer or private seller ? What kind of shape ? Aare there any extras such as canvas, electronics? What is the history of the boat?
Good Luck