1st Time Slipped in a Marina.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My new to me 2006 Seafarer is slipped in a Marina this year. When I used to trailer the 17' Mako I would flush the engine after each use. How do I do that being slipped?
Do I use the hose attachment near the cowling? Can I flush it with the motor titled up?

While I got ya here, do they make a small bimini to cover the stern while at the slip. The sun is brutal when we are hanging out on it. I have a Bimini top now, not the hard top. I tried a beach umbrella, it works well if there is no wind.
Thanks, John

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Motor OFF & up & flush it for 3-5 minutes. You can get quick connect garden hose attachments at HD/Lowes to make it easier.

You can get biminis to fit anything. The trick is not having it in the way when not using it. You can get a version that mounts on a track and slides forward to stow against the forward bimini.
But then you have an aluminum track on your gunnel.
If just for at dock, you can go simple with a canvas from the existing bimini to 2 poles at the stern. I need to do that from my hard top because it is brutal in the sun at the dock.

Reactions: Heyspike

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What skunkboat said. I usually flush mine until the water starts to cool down. Maybe over kill but it is what I do.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Two biminis are done all the time with cruisers. I'm very familar with the setup on these as I used to have a 28' Sea Ray. You'll have a canvas shop sew a zipper along the aft edge of your existing bimini and the other half of the zipper along the front edge of your new bimini. Usually, the aft bimini is only used when the forward bimini is. That way you avoid another set of black straps to hold the aft bimini open as zipping to the forward bimini secures it. If you add a set of rear legs for the aft bimini, then it stay in the upright (closed with the boot on) position when not being used. If you won't need it, Taco Marine makes really nice, ball-n-socket hardware for the attachment to the deck that makes removing/installing the bimini on the boat a super easy, one-person job.

To get the rear bimini canvas to be tought enough to be used at 40mph, the aft legs of the rear bimini can be adjustable. Basically a pole within a pole like an adjustable boat hook that uses a push button. Same type of push button can be used. "Extend" the aft legs to zipper it in place, then "collapse" the aft poles to tighten things up. From memory, about 10" of adjustability is what is needed.

As mentioned, though, if it's just for use at the dock or at anchor, then think (or google) "Sun sail shade". The forward edge zips to your existing bimini and the rear poles can inserted into a couple well placed rod holders... can't hurt to have extra rod holders, right!

1563975833595.jpeg

1563975897230.jpeg

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Two biminis are done all the time with cruisers. I'm very familar with the setup on these as I used to have a 28' Sea Ray. You'll have a canvas shop sew a zipper along the aft edge of your existing bimini and the other half of the zipper along the front edge of your new bimini. Usually, the aft bimini is only used when the forward bimini is. That way you avoid another set of black straps to hold the aft bimini open as zipping to the forward bimini secures it. If you add a set of rear legs for the aft bimini, then it stay in the upright (closed with the boot on) position when not being used. If you won't need it, Taco Marine makes really nice, ball-n-socket hardware for the attachment to the deck that makes removing/installing the bimini on the boat a super easy, one-person job.

To get the rear bimini canvas to be tought enough to be used at 40mph, the aft legs of the rear bimini can be adjustable. Basically a pole within a pole like an adjustable boat hook that uses a push button. Same type of push button can be used. "Extend" the aft legs to zipper it in place, then "collapse" the aft poles to tighten things up. From memory, about 10" of adjustability is what is needed.

As mentioned, though, if it's just for use at the dock or at anchor, then think (or google) "Sun sail shade". The forward edge zips to your existing bimini and the rear poles can inserted into a couple well placed rod holders... can't hurt to have extra rod holders, right!

View attachment 8136

That's what I was thinking, something to use only at the dock using the Rod Holders for the rear stays.

View attachment 8136

View attachment 8137

View attachment 8137

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Check this ratchet out... it would make tightening the "shade" very quick and easy as they could be used to tighten everything up AFTER you zip up and put the poles in. These could be in between the top of the poles and a grommet in your shade (or use them in the manner mentioned by Glacier). https://www.carvercovers.com/boat-cover-rope-ratchet/

This is just me, but I think it might be nice to install the aft rod holders (the angled version) at a slight outward angle, as well. That would allow the aft part of the shade to be larger (port to stbd) and also extend partly past your aft seats for better sun coverage.

Reactions: Heyspike

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great info everyone, I ordered a small sun shade and 2 adjustable tarps poles to fit into the angled rod holders. Should work nicely. When I get all the stuff this weekend, I'll figure out how to attach it to the existing bimini. I wont be running with this, only for hanging out at the dock.

Attachments

• 91pgLbBdOYL._SL1500_.jpg
    91pgLbBdOYL._SL1500_.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 12