2 Issues with my 225 Tournament

ewickwire

Reaction score
I posed these questions to the Gulfstream group and thought I'd do the same with all Grady White members since surely someone has had to deal with the same issues.
I am still totally smitten with my 225Tournament which I bought new in 2006. Literally every time I have someone new in the boat he comments on the smooth rid and safe feel of the boat. I still am stymied by 2 issues, however:
1) the snaps for securing the side curtains have always been extremely difficult and it is always near-impossible for a few of the forward windshield snaps to stay intact when the boat is moving.............they always pop open. I have taken the boat back numerous time to the dealer for adjustment, but the problem persists.

2) discoloration of the glass on the tach/speedometer glass on the instrument panel. I wish someone could tell me that this is repairable without having to install a totally new instrument panel.

If anyone has any suggestions on these problems, I'd be most appreciative.

Apart from these 2 issues, I cannot picture myself ever owning any boat this size which isn't a Grady White.

-EMW
Boca Grande

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good news and bad news....

Sunbrella shrinks with age....if you can't get the snaps to stay on the only recommendation I can make is to try and stretch it out on a really hot day.

As for your instruments, if they are faded from the sun baking them, they are finished. A brand new tach is around $250...a new speedo is a bit less. eBay is your friend on this one....often you can pick them up for less.

gw204

Reaction score
I've also found that snap lose some of their ability to hold as they age. You might try just replacing those (the part attached to the canvas).

BCLII

Reaction score
I second the snap tool! I have two at the lake, both for the boat and the vinyl on the screen porches! :D

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
ewickwire said:
I still am stymied by 2 issues, however:
1) the snaps for securing the side curtains have always been extremely difficult and it is always near-impossible for a few of the forward windshield snaps to stay intact when the boat is moving.............they always pop open. I have taken the boat back numerous time to the dealer for adjustment, but the problem persists.

First, as a fellow 225 owner, let me echo your enthusiasm for this craft. I have never felt the slightest compulsion to look back regretfully over my decision making process that led to its purchase. It has met (and exceeded) all of my perceived pre-purchase needs and expectations with flying colors...and all who I've invited aboard express delight similar to those you've heard as well.

As to the snap problem, you have my empathy. I have not yet experienced that windscreen problem on my 2007 (though initial installation of the side curtains is no picnic...and the snap tool for ALL canvas is a godsend). I assume you've tried soaking the canvas prior to installation (both umbrella and windscreen)? That should afford you just a hair more "stretch" for, hopefully, a more secure "snap" after a sun-drying ? Also, the tighter you dog down the forward umbrella, the less stress you place on the snaps. Tough to get a super-tight umbrella adjustment by yourself.

Assuming a secure connection cannot be maintained regardless, snap replacement seems to be the solution. The culprit could be a worn male half, top windshield mounted "snap" (which slide as I recall)? Perhaps that would be a more prudent first step than replacing the canvas-mounted snap? Whichever is easiest I guess, or do both if you're so inclined?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the discoloration on the tach glass is faded, I assume it is of the plastic type.
One thing you can try is the same polish you would use for gelcoat. Buff Magic would work or flitz with the ball.
If that does not work, you can try the Wipe New. I just used it on my truck and it is amazing and is lasting a long time. It made any plastic look new again and it repels water as if it were wax.
Not sure what you have but if it is just faded or weathered, you can do either above.

A more permanent fix would be to clear coat it with a clear acrylic urethane, but that stuff is probably more expensive than the new tach. I used to use this when I painted cars over 35 years ago and it would make instruments or gauges look brand new when they were weather damaged or we accidently hit the face with sand blaster.