2 pumps from the one sea cock inlet?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good points. The shurflo Pro Baitmaster is sealed and designed to run continuous. The Pro Blaster is sealed, but not designed to run continuous from what I read from Shurflo. These two pumps are both diagram type and not impeller, so they handle trash better than impeller, but from what I have been reading on the Shurflo Bait Sentry, it is magnetically controlled impeller that can also handle trash over a normal type shaft driven impeller.

I agree with you on all this as well. Either way is a good way to go, just down to preference. I could allow the water to run into the livewell and exit. Just not sure how fast it would fill when running vs draining. I do wonder the volume and turnover rate when running vs not. If the pump is running while I am running, seems it would be getting more pressure and put out more volume than when at rest, but I have to doubt that on a 3/4 hose, that the volume would be too much anyway.

Still pondering. My original Shurflo pumps went over 20 years and still have one running my fresh water system, so they appear to be pretty good pumps so far so not afraid of them in that respect. Have to get in the boat and just sit and stare at the setup and see what my options are before I make the plunge.

You guys have great debates and good info! Keep it coming! :mrgreen:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was on the search for a helm switch to handle the second pump. Not easy to find. Contacted Grady dealer and they can't get the same style any longer. The Euro Rocker switch with Green light.
In case anyone is looking in the future, I think I found a source. http://www.delcity.net/store/Single-&-D ... s/p_796737

This appears to be the same design and with green light, but in LED version which is great since the old switches I have now get really hot. Guess they have an incandescent bulb or something in them, dunno, but will see if new one's are cooler. At least the price is right to find out if they are the same. Will let you know what I end up with. You never know when ordering, but they sure look right. :mrgreen:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Figured would give a update. Finished my dual pump install.
Added ProBlaster Extreme for wash down. Ran dual hoses from thru hull/seacock valve to a Groco filter then one line to ProBlaster and other one to the Shurhold Bait Master pump I was using for dual purpose before.
I also connected a 3rd line via a 3way and shutoff valve to allow me to insert the line into a jug of antifreeze so I could winterize the system easily.

I tested the system using the winterizing hose as the suction line. Filled the livewell with water and added an extension hose to the suction to simulate pulling from the ocean.

The pumps worked perfectly! I could sense a small take away from the livewell flow when opening up the spray nozzle on the ProBlaster, but that could be due to lower available volume from the longer hose.

I ran the livewell for a long time and it ran perfectly. I ran the ProBlaster for over a minute and it kicked the breaker. Found that the switch I installed was fine, but the breaker for that location was maybe a 10 amp, so I had an extra one not in use, that worked, so it must have been a 15amp, so I switched locations in the helm switch panel and then could run the ProBlaster for 2-3minutes and no problem.

The switches I found online with LED's work perfectly as well. Now I don't have to kill myself to switch the 3 way valve to use either or both pumps. Now just press the switch on the helm! Very happy with the outcome. Can't wait to test it out on the water!

Attachments

• ProBlaster.jpg
    ProBlaster.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 4,468
  • ProBlaster2.jpg
    ProBlaster2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 4,468

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Oh yeah, one other thing that was bugging me...I cut out the glassed in wooden pad that the bilge pump was mounted on. It was always oozing out a smelly black water. So figured the wood used had gotten wet and rotted.
I epoxied in a new pad with PVC board, covered with 1708 Biaxial Glass and epoxy I had left over from the Deck Recore project.
Came out nice! No more stinky bilge! I also re-oriented the pump to the rear most mount location and the float in front so the pump would get out more water before it kicks off.

By the way, using an oscillating cutoff tool works wonders for a project like this. It made the cutout effortless. Only took a minute or so to cut out the old one and the flush cutting blade allowed me to clean up some of the lumps down there from the sloppy work someone else had left there. Now bilge area is flat and smooth.

Attachments

• Bilge Pump Mount.jpg
    Bilge Pump Mount.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4,467

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update: I splashed the boat in the local lake for first test of season. Also first time I have put this boat on a freshwater lake. Nice!

The pumps worked flawlessly. The Pro Blaster washdown pump was much stronger than the livewell pump for washdown purposes, this is great!
I was able to run the washdown pump while livewell pump was running and you saw some very slight decrease in water coming in to livewell, but not enough to worry with and of course this is only temporary as you will not run the washdown hose for more than a few minutes at the most.

I turned off the livewell switch to see if I got any air backflow from the livewell pump hose, but no air issue so did not need a check valve.

This was a great upgrade and now I don't have to get on my knees and stand on my head anymore to alternate the diverter valve between pumps! :mrgreen: