2 Rescued from the water in Boston Harbor - GW sinks

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Father, son rescued after boat sinks in Boston Harbor - They were lobstering in Boston Harbor. They got lines tangled which stalled the engine (s) on a 28 foot Grady White. The boat ended up getting a hole on the hull after crashing into the rocks. Very lucky to be alive,

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Glad they are well.
I'm curious to see what "sinking" looks like for a boat that should not be able to sink unless overloaded with something not buoyant.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The term for that is "swamped".
My guess is the boat was swamped, but didn't sink. Swamping doesn't get the media attention sunk does. After all, ratings are more important than accuracy.
At least they didn't speculate a cunning shark was responsible for the gear getting wrapped-up in the props. Who wants to start a Facebook post?

Reactions: Pat Hurley

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think of swamped as being mostly submerged but maintaining what is referred to as level flotation. The officer said that when they got on scene, the only thing visible was a small tip of the boat, which makes me think it was hanging engines down. I wouldn’t leave a swamped boat for a bucket and a cooler.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Still seeing if there are any pictures of the Grady. A big thanks to the officers who showed up in only 15 minutes while the boat was 8 miles out from the harbor. That is a fantastic response time and shows just how quickly you can go from having fun to being in the water swimming for your life and trying to stay afloat. Not wanting to get too into the “armchair quarterback” mindset, though I wonder why the bilge pumps didn’t kick on and pump the water out or why they didn’t stick with the boat itself. A cooler and a life ring, as stated above, wouldn’t have been my first choice, or even second or third.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good point Glacier. I wonder if it was heavily loaded.

Halfhitch, yes THT knows this was caused by inferior construction. A Freeman would have consumed the rocks and ejected sand. :D

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Glad they are well.
I'm curious to see what "sinking" looks like for a boat that should not be able to sink unless overloaded with something not buoyant.
I have seen it, looks like a bathtub floating. Doesn't sink just fills up with water

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure

Still seeing if there are any pictures of the Grady. A big thanks to the officers who showed up in only 15 minutes while the boat was 8 miles out from the harbor. That is a fantastic response time and shows just how quickly you can go from having fun to being in the water swimming for your life and trying to stay afloat. Not wanting to get too into the “armchair quarterback” mindset, though I wonder why the bilge pumps didn’t kick on and pump the water out or why they didn’t stick with the boat itself. A cooler and a life ring, as stated above, wouldn’t have been my first choice, or even second or third.
The end of that video states the boat was salvaged and hauled out of the water for repairs, so my guess is it didn't sink...

Just speculating, but if the reason why the boat was taking on water was because it was bashing up against rocks, maybe they wanted to get away from that mess so they didn't get bashed up against the rocks themselves? They were in the water a total of 15 minutes before being rescued.

Reactions: family affair

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Something doesn't make sense about the story ... if the boat was pushed against the rocks which punched a hole in the hull and sank why didn't the occupants crawl up on those same rocks to safety ?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
C54DC4BC-0EDD-4C16-A9E7-AE28AADB73BD.jpeg
The rocks would almost certainly be wet and slippery, judging by the algae growing on them, unless it was dead calm and high tide, and possibly sharp barnacles as well. Safest move may have been to get away from them.
Harbor Master‘s boat had some sort of drop-down ramp in the bow, but it seems totally inadequate for getting hypothermic people out of the water.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Something doesn't make sense about the story ... if the boat was pushed against the rocks which punched a hole in the hull and sank why didn't the occupants crawl up on those same rocks to safety ?
I agree.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The end of that video states the boat was salvaged and hauled out of the water for repairs, so my guess is it didn't sink...

Just speculating, but if the reason why the boat was taking on water was because it was bashing up against rocks, maybe they wanted to get away from that mess so they didn't get bashed up against the rocks themselves? They were in the water a total of 15 minutes before being rescued.
The whole thing seems kind of vague and like a bit of speculation as they don’t give very many details at all about the incident. Just about anything can be salvaged if it can be retrieved, just depends on the cost to do so for the insurance company and if it makes sense to salvage it or declare it a total loss. Even then, a lot of times if they do declare it a total loss the insurance company will give the owner an option to buy it back from them but a pair of twin motors can be upwards of $50k by themselves. I had a buddy out shrimping with me one time, of which he dropped the one pot down on the one side of the boat and we had a strong current, he told me we were clear so I started motoring away and heard something in the motor. I immediately put it in neutral as I realized he must’ve gotten the shrimp pot line tangled up in the prop, which is what happened. A quick tilt up on the outboard as well as a knife and I got it all loose in less than 30 seconds or so. They must’ve been really close to the rocks to begin with, or much closer than they should’ve been. More speculation, but that’s about all we have to go off off.