2 stroke oil

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I know some here swear by the Yamaha koolaid but others of us are poor and burn way too much to pay $50/gal.

I was buying Pennzoil for $20/gal at Autozone/Advanced Auto and getting a $5 discount coupon every once in a while.
Problem was that both stores only ever have 2 gallons in stock so I'd be hitting every store in a 20 mile radius if I was planning a long run.

I also would buy West Marine brand when it was buy one get one free which works out to $16/gal and I could load up.

Recently my brother was picking up Walmart branded oil for $14/gal but they also only ever had one or 2 in stock....sometimes none.

Well, I got tired of the onsey-twosey thing and went to Walmart.com and ordered 12 gallons @ $14 a piece ....and they shipped FREE!

Reactions: Uncle Joe

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like the Pennzoil XLF in both my Yamaha OX66 225's as well as the 90 HP 2 stroke Johnson on my Boston Whaler
Stocked in just about every Wal Mart I've ever been in and nice at $17/gallon
Valvoline Marine 2 stroke can be had on WalMart for $15 ish (too sooty for me)
The WalMart tcw3 is also highly regarded by the folks on Bob Is the Oil Guy

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
From a purely "protective" standpoint, any TCW3 is going to get the job done. The difference comes about, often, in the amount of smoke produced and how clean the oil burns internally... possibly leading to fouling plugs or O2 sensor. Personally, I think the Yamaha stuff smokes too much, although anytime I've checked the O2/Plugs, they are clean. I do also use Startron and RingFree religiously - so that, no doubt, helps - especially the RF in this case. I have been hearing really good things about Evinrude XD100 for the last few years and have a jug of that onboard to try out once the Pennzoil full synthetic runs out (which I do like a bit better than the Yamaha, too). I'm no longer able to find Pennzoil full synthetic locally, so that prompted the looking for something new (Evinrude). Personally, I do like the idea of full synthetic due to the cleaner burning properties. But, again, any TCW3 will provide good protection. However, the full synthetic stuff certainly won't compete with the dino oil stuff in terms of price! Those are some pretty darn good prices!

bac0701

Reaction score
No issues with pennsoil like everyone is saying. I usually buy it at Walmart but was out locally. Last order was amazon at $16 I think a gallon. I order 6

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a Suzuki DT225 DPI. I run Mercurys synthetic blend Quicksilver 2stroke for DPI engines. It’s about $35 per gal.
That goes into the oil reservoir for oil injection. Never been a fan of Pennsylvania grade oil, looking for as clean a burn as possible.
My Owner’s advises running a 50:1 mix in the first tank of fuel for the season as protection in the event the oil injection system doesn’t deliver as it should after a long rest. My own policy after that is to back up the oil injection system with a 100:1 mix for the rest of the season. The engine runs great with this and the oil in the tank, lines and filter help safeguard against corrosion and seal issues plus if the oil injection pump ever takes a dive I’m covered.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know some here swear by the Yamaha koolaid but others of us are poor and burn way too much to pay $50/gal.

I was buying Pennzoil for $20/gal at Autozone/Advanced Auto and getting a $5 discount coupon every once in a while.
Problem was that both stores only ever have 2 gallons in stock so I'd be hitting every store in a 20 mile radius if I was planning a long run.

I also would buy West Marine brand when it was buy one get one free which works out to $16/gal and I could load up.

Recently my brother was picking up Walmart branded oil for $14/gal but they also only ever had one or 2 in stock....sometimes none.

Well, I got tired of the onsey-twosey thing and went to Walmart.com and ordered 12 gallons @ $14 a piece ....and they shipped FREE!

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like you live in my area. If you go to Comstock yacht sales in Point Pleasant the Yamalube is on 23.33 per gallon. Simply bring you old gallon containers and they pump from their bulk containers to yours at $28.00 per gallon. The 6th gallon is free bring your price to $23.33 per gallon. Oh, yes btw I am one of those Yamaha koolaid drinking guys and it’s worth every penny. And they also discount 20% all parts. Way cheaper than that west marine place you refer to. Give them a try.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Way cheaper than that west marine place you refer to.
We sometimes see the big chain stores with their bulk buying power as being cheaper and the dockside vendor or marinas having marked up convenience store prices. West marine has been kinda crazy lately. The same flare refill kits they sell can be bought at half their price at Walmart. I was there recently and a guy asked for a price check on a bottle of startron he thought was too high. He thought he overpaid at the dockside pump at $10 but was not happy to find west marines price at $12.
Incidentally I went there to pickup a Racor snapp filter for my tin boat. I knew it cost more but I wanted now. Turned out that was an order only part, not in stock (they have 10 in the share house :rolleyes: ) so I did order it, from eBay.
Incidentally for fishing reels and other gear you can’t beat Bogan’s Bait and tackle . They even beat online prices.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I actually don't mind paying a little more (within reason) at local stores as compared to the big chain stores. The advice and customer service I can get from talking to a knowledgable person is well worth it. I also know that it's often hard for them to compete since they don't sell the quantity that the big stores do. Kinda nice to keep my money local, too. Not that I never go to a chain store, of course.

One thing to watch out for - and maybe this has changed - but using Startron as a real life example... When Walmart first contracted with StarBrite (makes Startron), my StarBrite rep told me that Walmart wanted to be able to see Startron cheaper than anyone else so they had StarBrite make a different formula that was 1oz per 8g of gas. The normal formulation is 1oz to 16g. It was indeed cheaper by a couple bucks, but it was HALF the forumula/ratio... which meant it was actually MORE expensive to us!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pennzoil XLF here for the last 30 years. $17/gal at Walmart or Academy.

fellinger

Reaction score
I use Penzoil XLF as well. Cheapest from walmart.com and free shipping over $50. I buy 6 gallons at at time. Usually here in 2 days.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I always thought 2-stroke oil was the same.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I have probably close to 30 gallons on Optimax oil I'm looking to sell cheap. i bought a 55 gallon drum but then sold the boat. Oil has been transferred to 1/2 gallon jugs. Have pics of the barrel and label.

Located near Atlantic City, shoot me a message if interested.

Willy-C

Reaction score
I’ve used the Yamalube in the past, but converted several years ago to Pennzoil XLF and Pennzoil Premium Plus. Not sure I’ve noticed any difference between the two Pennzoil products but my 150 2-smoke likes them. Seems to run better.

freddy063

Reaction score
I use the wal-mart oil was 12 bucks a gallon for the pass 15 or so years, never had any troubles, but I only use marine fuel ,additive for stal-bil and ringfree sometimes.