20 foot owners - trim tabs??

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have a 1990 Overnighter and want Bennett Tabs, my mechanic says the swim platform has to be removed....my question, I know most 20 foot owners have tabs AND kept their swim platform...what is my mechanic missing? what size tabs were you able to install with keeping the platform?

Thank you in advance for replies...

Tabman

Reaction score
Bigfoot said:
Hey guys,

Have a 1990 Overnighter and want Bennett Tabs, my mechanic says the swim platform has to be removed....my question, I know most 20 foot owners have tabs AND kept their swim platform...what is my mechanic missing? what size tabs were you able to install with keeping the platform?

Thank you in advance for replies...

Bigfoot,

Bennett makes systems with shorter actuators (rams) such as the 10" X 12" m120, which is the size I would recommend for your boat.

Polarm120inches.jpg

Even if these are a little too tall, it is usually easy to modify the platform a bit:

notched_swim_ladder.jpg

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Thanks Tabman,

I have the 2003 F200 heavy 4 banger which makes the bow ride high...I've never had tabs and all I've heard is it's a must have on my 204c.

What will I really notice after adding these tabs?

Tabman

Reaction score
Bigfoot said:
Thanks Tabman,

I have the 2003 F200 heavy 4 banger which makes the bow ride high...I've never had tabs and all I've heard is it's a must have on my 204c.

The M120swill let you get up on plane faster with much less bow rise and stay on plane at much lower speeds. The ability to keep the bow down, cutting the waves at lower speeds will make running in a chop much more comfortable.

Tom
Bennett Marine

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Adventure 208. Came with Bennett trim tabs and a swim platform from my dealer. Works great and the trim tabs are an absolute must have. I use them all the time.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Tabman said:
Bigfoot said:
Thanks Tabman,

The M120swill let you get up on plane faster with much less bow rise and stay on plane at much lower speeds. The ability to keep the bow down, cutting the waves at lower speeds will make running in a chop much more comfortable.

Tom
Bennett Marine

awesome, not a cheap item but on it this year...

like adding 2 feet to the boat...

ric2352

Reaction score
I put Bennett Sport Tabs on my Overniter and the factory swim step was not an issue. I also put the same tabs on my 208...it has the same swim step pictured above and had to remove it to notch it as shown. No big deal....it doesn't have to go away.

Clockwork

Reaction score
Trim tabs will be a big improvement. You could get by without them in nice conditions but they were of use for me on my overnighter regularly.

ric2352

Reaction score
Bigfoot said:
where to mount the controls??? space is limited on the Overnighter?
I mounted them on that flat area above the engine control binnacle

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Tabman said:
Bigfoot said:
Thanks Tabman,

Tom
Bennett Marine

Got em installed and exactly as you stated - love em! Kinda made the boat ride 2 feet bigger.

Thanks for replies!

derx2

Reaction score
I am installing the Bennett M120 tabs right now on my 1989 G/W 204. I have everything done but the control at the helm. I had to take a break for a few days due to rain/wind. I had no problems with interference between the actuators and port side swim step
20140222_191059_zps8be3eea4.jpg

20140222_191011_zps4c67b369.jpg

Tabman

Reaction score
Derx2,

Looking good!

Tom
Bennett Marine

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My '88 204C never came with the tabs OEM. The stern would sink for a while till she picked up speed, good thing she had a V6 150 2 stroke, used all of it getting her stern out of the hole more so when loaded up. Needed tabs too for off planning speed when water was just too tough that day.

The 1992 252G did, and I can say the Bennett system is all original and works perfect.

I can't understand how the seals on the rams have not given up the ghost in all this time.
21 yrs (21 seasons, 13 with me) later, and no trailer or garage queen either.

81Malibu

Reaction score
Trim tabs were the best mod I ever made on my Striper. On my Wellcraft I missed them so I put them on there too. Ill find out soon if they were worth it, I'm sure they were.