20 overnighter

wanderer200

Reaction score
Hi all. I just got a good deal on an 87 overniter that has a blown powerhead. I have the replacement engine on my 77 grady center console.(boat is now junk) While the motor is off, I would like to check into the transom. It still seems to be in good shape, but does have 2 small cracks outside of eng mount (outboard).I just want piece of mind so I don`t have to pull motor again anytime soon and/or possibly repair with cpes or gitrot if it`s starting to get soft. Can I get to the wood for inspection by removing the metal strip or will I have to cut a strip of the glass.

Also its bottom paint needs to be redone (never dealt with bottom paint before) I don`t really need it as it will always be on a trailer, but I`ve been reading its easier to repaint than get back to original gelcoat shine. Can this be done on trailer or do I need to put it on jacks.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With the motor off look across the back of the transom, if it has any outward bow, there's reason for concern. Take off the alum strip and examine the screw holes for any cracking, another indicator of problems.

I have a post with pics of what I described in tips and mods. Look for Overnighter project.

There will be glass across the top of the transom although unsealed at the joint.

The reality is you need to check the lower areas of the transom ie:

arond the garboard drain,

scupper thru holes etc and work your way up from there.

Any water damage will start at the lowest point and work it's way up from there.

richie rich

Reaction score
also, remove some self tapping screws, actually all of them, holding any trim tabs and transducers etc......if you have water coming out, you may have a transom problem and either way, you'd want to reseal the holes for peace of mind with epoxy and 5200.

as far as the bottom?? Jacks are definitely easier than jockying the boat on a trailer...but it can be done....if there's a "boatload" of layers of bottom paint, the best way is to have it soda or sandblasted by a pro...it will cost about $500 but will save a ton of labor and you'll have a hull ready for a finish...normally when you do this, you encapsulate the hull bottom using an epoxy like Interlux Interprotect which will seal the bottom from water intrusion for up to 10 years when done right.....but you will have to put a coat or 2 of bottom paint as well to give UV protection over the epoxy.......OR....just let it fade away which will look awful but save you time and money.....normally, once bottom paint has been applied, the amount of sanding or blasting will expose the gel coat to more water permeation and really should be sealed unless the hull and paint are recent and fresh.

wanderer200

Reaction score
I`ll be picking up the boat this friday.
Thanks guys!!!