2000 228 CONSOLE/ELECTRONICS UPGRADE

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Grady friends:

I've been watching the posts for similar projects for a while and spent a lot of time deciding on how I was going to reconfigure my dash on my 2000 228G. I had a Garmin 741xs gimbal mounted in the overhead electronics box and nothing in the plexiglass dash. After deciding that it didnt make much sense to toss a perfectly good 741 to upgrade to a larger Garmin, I decided to buy the new 742xs and dual mount them and moved my Suzuki display C-10 and the remote to the Fusion "black box" NMEA head unit in an old gauge hole.

Very pleased with the results so I wanted to share.

1. Obtained the carbon fiber ABS with the pattern and glare resistance I wanted from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AMBA62S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

2. Used the existing inset for the clear plexiglass door as the template for the overall panel. Downloaded the templates from Garmin for the 741xs and 742xs and templated them out on the ABS. I bribed a finish carpenter cut panel, cut holes for the Garmins, and rout the edges.

3. Used stainless hardware and finish washers to cleanly install (debating on trying to paint them black).

4. Picture from the rear drop down panel:
-ran power from the distribution block under dash to a new one mounted on drop panel
-ran a NMEA2000 power cable from backbone under dash and created a new backbone
-installed the Fusion MS-BB100, ran the remote to an old gauge hole, and it displays all audio information and can adjust any setting on both Garmins.
-cut and reran the Radar data cable down through tower. Bought my IT guy a 6 pack of beer to come put on the RJ45 jack with the "special crimper"

5. Ballpark cost:
-ABS $ 75.00 (Amazon)
-New Garmin 742xs $749.00 (4th of July sale at Westmarine)
-Fusion MS-BS100 $289.00 (Westmarine)
-Blue Sea Fuse Block $ 40.00 (Wholesale Marine)
-NMEA2000 backbone, cables, etc. $125.00 (Amazon)
-Garmin Data Cable 40' for Radar $ 55.00 (Amazon)
-Finish Carpentry Called in a favor
-Garmin RJ45 $15.00 for Garmin RJ45 from Garmin and 6 pack Creature Comforts Tropicalia for install

Thank you to everyone who has posted similar upgrades in the past as I've soaked it all in and learned from your projects (which I feel is the mission statement of this site and wish I could search and name those who've gone before me that I graciously borrowed your ideas and errors). Thank you for those who maintain this site---donating today.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. All things being equal was a pretty easy project and relatively inexpensive that resulted in what I feel like is a "new boat" to me.

TJ

t33.jpgt34.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag and Stephnic

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for sharing...I have the same boat and looking to do all of this in the off-season.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Trilogy, how was it working with the carbon fiber panel? Did you need any special tools? I really like the look of that material.

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trilogy, how was it working with the carbon fiber panel? Did you need any special tools? I really like the look of that material.
The carpenter said he used a table saw to cut it to the size needed and a jigsaw to cut the holes out for the Garmins. He used a router to smooth the edges.