2000 228G Seafarer Yamaha OX66 sticky control cable length - Replace with Teleflex cables?

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi All,
I have a sticky control shifter/throttle. Does anyone know the length of the Grady 228 G with the Grady bracket I need to order? I've been reading other threads mentioning Teleflex cables to replace them with, what's your experience with these cables and are they better than Yamaha? More reliable?
Thanks in advance!

seasick

Reaction score
Teleflex Extreme are good parts.
You might be able to find the cable length printed on the outer sheath of the old cable. The section of cable near the steering box is less prone to fading so try that in addition to the end near the motor.

Reactions: Sparkdog118

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Teleflex Extreme are good parts.
You might be able to find the cable length printed on the outer sheath of the old cable. The section of cable near the steering box is less prone to fading so try that in addition to the end near the motor.
Teleflex extremes are the way to go. I wouldn’t install any other brand for my boat.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ccx63322 is your part number. I have 22ft in my offshore also. I replaced them 12 maybe 13 years ago and they are still like new.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Did you try adjusting the tension screw on your remote control? My boat is also a 2000 and my throttle was not smooth. It would jump by a few hundred rpm with the slightest touch of the handle, very jerkey. I thought I was going to have to replace cables, length was in the owner's manual. However, I did a bit of poking around prior to installing new cables and found the tension adjustment screw on the Yamaha 704 binnacle was too tight. I backed it off a bit and throttle operates properly. It's a quick check as the adjustment screw can normally be accessed without removing the cover.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What makes you think the throttle/shifter is sticky?

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ill try adjusting the tension, I wasn't aware this existed, thanks
If you remove the cover on the shifter , there is a screw adjustment to tighter or loosen the throttle shifter

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Might not need to remove the cover, depends on the model of your binnacle. Look at the bottom of the control under the handle, there may be a black rubber plug which you remove to access the tension adjustment screw, flat blade screw driver needed. Loosen the screw and exercise the throttle handle see if you notice a difference. If you search yamaha 704 remote control tension adjustment you will get several videos and forum topics on the subject. This is a very easy check before jumping right to swapping out cables.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I checked the tension it made no difference to the stiffness, I went ahead and ordered the Teleflex Xtreme cables. thanks for all your help, you guys rock.