2000 265 express

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I just put a set of 300 on my boat and the scubbers are not letting water in the back of the boat as it sits in the water. Soon as I put 5 jerry cans and a cooler they go under and there’s a little water that sits in the back. Least when I hit the cabin everything comes out anyways.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm not quite sure what you are saying.

I am interested in everything you can explain about the 2000 265 and how it handles the weight of four strokes, especially those V6 zukes.

All of my research thus far has led me to believe that the 2000 thru 2002 models had a sharper dead rise(21 or 22 degrees?) than the 2003 and later models that were changed (flattened slightly 19 degrees?))to accommodate the weight of the new four stroke motors that hit the market that year. I have read that people repowering older 265s to four stroke V6s had scupper trouble when full of fuel and ice and gear and people.

Your DF300s are 1208 lbs (604 lbs each) vs Yamaha OX66 225s at 950 Lbs (475 each). Thats 258 lb difference hanging off the transom.
edit: got the weight wrong its 639 each...so 1280 vs 975... 305 difference

I know when I fill 250 gallons and carry 250 lbs of ice, 75 pounds of bait, offshore gear and 3 or 4 people I sit pretty low. I don't get water coming on deck but the scuppers sit below the waterline.

Please tell us everything you can. There are a few guys on this site with 265s who would love to hear about it.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
That would concern me.
1.) The max HP for a 19 year hull is exceeded by 100 HP.
2.) While water is not getting in the cockpit at rest, I'm sure it is inside the hoses. If one of those should breach (age leading to dry rot being the primary concern), she could sink.

I'd investigate getting some one way valves on those scupper drains at a minimum.

Last edited:

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
When the boat is at the dock with the new twin 300’s the scubbers are above the water line with full fuel tanks. The boat had 2001 225 four strokes on it from new with a 9.9 kicker on the starboard side and the didn’t let water in the back then and now I took the kicker off and the boat sits 1/2 out of the water more now then before. I have bottom paint and it was flush with the water line before now it’s above that’s how I seen the difference. When I put 6 jerry cans and cooler and firewood and fill the boat for the weekend at t he cabin there is a little water in the back but soon as I get to the dock I take all that stuff out. As for the dead rise my old boat was a 24’ pro fisher and it was worse so this boats a breeze to drive compared to my old boat I find long as you do 30-35mph and trim the boat up 50-60% it operators unreal it can get caught in the odd wave but so does my buddy 33 express. Long as you can trim your boat up it rides fine to me and I grew up on the west coast of Vancouver island running boats hard on the west coast fishing out of bamfield area and the Barkley sound.

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I had the boat store call me when the old motors were off the transum is in really good shape no rot in any holes and in good shape. People say when Yamaha weighs its empty no prop and Suzuki is weighed with oils and prop. Those oil 225 were 584lbs so I didn’t jump in weight to much at all with the kicker off

Fishtales

Reaction score
Unfortunately its not just weight, its the rated HP. You should be ok.

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I’m sure the 100hp is fine long as your not beating the boat to death and jumping it. If it’s the same weight I can’t see it being a problem. My old 24’ pro fisher was only rated for a 200hp and I put a 300 on that boat in 2007 and it lasted me 13years almost no problem. . Hope it holds together if not there’s a guy in my home town that can fix anything to do with fibreglass and boats.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How are you insuring your boats when you go over the recommended HP rating?

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You just pay more to be over powered from what I see from before and after on both boats.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
When the boat is at the dock with the new twin 300’s the scubbers are above the water line with full fuel tanks. The boat had 2001 225 four strokes on it from new with a 9.9 kicker on the starboard side and the didn’t let water in the back then and now I took the kicker off and the boat sits 1/2 out of the water more now then before. I have bottom paint and it was flush with the water line before now it’s above that’s how I seen the difference. When I put 6 jerry cans and cooler and firewood and fill the boat for the weekend at t he cabin there is a little water in the back but soon as I get to the dock I take all that stuff out. As for the dead rise my old boat was a 24’ pro fisher and it was worse so this boats a breeze to drive compared to my old boat I find long as you do 30-35mph and trim the boat up 50-60% it operators unreal it can get caught in the odd wave but so does my buddy 33 express. Long as you can trim your boat up it rides fine to me and I grew up on the west coast of Vancouver island running boats hard on the west coast fishing out of bamfield area and the Barkley sound.

Interesting that it had original 2001 F225s. I've never seen a 2000-2002 265 express with them. And you had a kicker too.
I always see either 225 OX66s or 200 HPDIs

I have been procrastinating for 2 years on repowering my 2000 265x. It has original 225 OX66s.
The wife just made the mistake today of encouraging me so I might just do it at the boat show this year.

As said before, there have been threads on various forums, including here, that talked about weight issues with 4 strokes on these hulls. Even your post brings it into question.
It sounds like you were loaded with gear & supplies. You didn't mention fuel load. Were both tanks full (250 gallons)? How big were the jerry cans? Water or gasoline?

With the old F225s and kicker, did you ever have a problem when the boat was full of fuel and loaded for bear?

I have been looking at 4 cylinder DF200APs as a means of keeping the weight the same. You have opened up the possibility of V6 DF250s (same weight as DF300s).
The V6 DF225s are not available with Digital Controls so they are out...
This is why I am so interested in your setup.
Unfortunately, I never tried loading it up for an offshore run and then putting an extra 300 pounds in the motor well and then have three guys lean over the tailgate to see what happens. The boat is in the driveway until spring.

I suppose 300 pounds is 50 gals of gas. In theory I should gain enough range with 4 strokes to only take 200 gals. And of course, it gets lighter as you run...

If you are still getting out on the water this time of year, I would greatly appreciate some details on fuel economy, speed, rpm range and prop size

(I considered the new 2019 Mercury 225s FourStrokes as they are as light as my OX66s!
However, I fear Mercury. I know several people with brand new Verados that just screwed them. And several of the problems were lower units, which are the same on all Mercs.)