2000 272 Sailfish good bad ugly

Fly-Dog

Reaction score
Model
Islander
So I'm looking at a 2000 272 Sailfish w/twin 2000 Yamaha 2-Stroke Series SX200TXRY this boat is in showroom condition which I was floored when the gentleman pulled it out of the barn on a brand new trailer, two garman units and Radar. Am I dreaming or is this too good to be true? Does anyone have any experience with the 200hp 2 stroke motors? will it be under powered for this boat? the motors have under 500 hrs and boat looks like it's never seen salt. Any insight or shared experience will be appreciated. I recently sold my 1998 Islander 268 and the 272 looks like agood fit for me, without jumping into a Marlin 300.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A friend of mine has the 272 and it is powered with twin 200 HPDIs. The boat moves right along with 3 adults and gear. Sorry I do not have stat numbers. The owner just had the bang cap on the stern replaced and the dealer reported that the stern was solid and had no signs of water intrusion. after 23 years.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with Ekea, I'd have a competent certified marine surveyor come out and inspect the boat with you to see what issues there might be with it.

Jamato14

Reaction score
I currently have a 2000 sailfish 272. The good, great layout, great compromise for fishing and beach days, lots of great aspects. The bad… wiring from the factory is standard copper wire, and eventually no matter how good of condition it was kept it needs a full rewire to tinned marine grade copper. The transom has an aluminum cap which will eventually let water in no matter how much you clean and reseal it, it’s a fact of Grady’s for most time periods. I bought mine super clean and still run into issues. Overall it’s a great compromise boat for fishing and cruising and will be reliable for a long time as long as you address the wiring and transom and potentially the roof. I have 225 ox66 2 strokes and I get 1.1-1.2 nautical miles per gallon and cruise 23-25kts. It’s nice on anchor and nice on a mooring. I’ve been in 5’ swells at 15s and cruised those same speeds but a 2-4’ @6-8s or less and you’ll get the crap kicked out of you and have to be playing the throttles. I won’t speak to the electronics as I prefer furuno but a lot of folks I talk to or know prefer garmin so that’s all personal preference and I have an older garmin vs new furuno so it’s apples and oranges comparing the two. I also use my boat for general category bluefin fishing out of New England so lots of cold water/weather and I have days I have to fish because of restrictions so I push it, so depending on your use a lot of my downsides may not apply. just food for thought. I’m looking to downgrade to something like an islander or something else more easily trailerable from my sailfish since ease of trailering is higher on my list if needs

Fly-Dog

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I currently have a 2000 sailfish 272. The good, great layout, great compromise for fishing and beach days, lots of great aspects. The bad… wiring from the factory is standard copper wire, and eventually no matter how good of condition it was kept it needs a full rewire to tinned marine grade copper. The transom has an aluminum cap which will eventually let water in no matter how much you clean and reseal it, it’s a fact of Grady’s for most time periods. I bought mine super clean and still run into issues. Overall it’s a great compromise boat for fishing and cruising and will be reliable for a long time as long as you address the wiring and transom and potentially the roof. I have 225 ox66 2 strokes and I get 1.1-1.2 nautical miles per gallon and cruise 23-25kts. It’s nice on anchor and nice on a mooring. I’ve been in 5’ swells at 15s and cruised those same speeds but a 2-4’ @6-8s or less and you’ll get the crap kicked out of you and have to be playing the throttles. I won’t speak to the electronics as I prefer furuno but a lot of folks I talk to or know prefer garmin so that’s all personal preference and I have an older garmin vs new furuno so it’s apples and oranges comparing the two. I also use my boat for general category bluefin fishing out of New England so lots of cold water/weather and I have days I have to fish because of restrictions so I push it, so depending on your use a lot of my downsides may not apply. just food for thought. I’m looking to downgrade to something like an islander or something else more easily trailerable from my sailfish since ease of trailering is higher on my list if needs
Thanks much appreceiated, very informative. I just sold my 268 Islander is was a 98 with twin '20 Suki 150's I would definitley recommend twin 200's when loaded we struggled to get on plane had to try several prop set ups to achieve fuctionality.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had a 1999 272. We loved the boat, we had a 1 year old during the start of the pandemic and decided to try and list it. First person to look bought it and the wife wasn’t happy about the sale! I have boat A.D.D. and we kept the 272 longer than anything else by far.

After a year boatless we found a good price for a 268 Islander to use as a stopgap until we upgraded to a Marlin. The Sailfish was considerably bigger on the water than the Islander. Both great boats but someone here said once an Islander will fit inside a Sailfish and a Sailfish in a Marlin. That’s a great analogy I think.

Layout is great for fishing or beach hoping. Two of us spent 3 nights once, I personally thought that was the max for us. Grady’s of that era seem to chip around the hardtop, I sanded and painted tinted gel coat on myself and it lasted. There is an old article online that compares the 200’s to 225s. If I remember right it was minimal but the 225s preferred. We were out a few times in snotty conditions and although we took it slow we always felt safe. We spent over a year looking for a Marlin and ended up with a 305 Express that we are very happy with, but we almost considered another sailfish due to lack of decent correctly priced Marlins.

ttles714

Reaction score
Those motors may be the best outboards ever made by anyone !!! Anywhere you see a description of them you will see the term "bulletproof".

Reactions: Ryhlick

onmy6

Reaction score
Those motors may be the best outboards ever made by anyone !!! Anywhere you see a description of them you will see the term "bulletproof".
Until you hear of them blowing up. Same vintage9FB87D00-20FF-47BB-85A6-32370E10A4DC.jpeg

ttles714

Reaction score
So what caused that ???? Did you wack it with a hammer ?? What is that rusted out part, with what looks like chisel marks, ?? On a second look, it looks to be a rusted connecting rod ???? Maybe no oil or water intrusion ??? Not a common occurrence with the SX engines...but it does happen

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So what caused that ???? Did you wack it with a hammer ?? What is that rusted out part, with what looks like chisel marks, ?? On a second look, it looks to be a rusted connecting rod ???? Maybe no oil or water intrusion ??? Not a common occurrence with the SX engines...but it does happen
I'm no expert but it looks like part of a connecting rod...