2000 Grady 192 for 1st boat in PNW?

VanIsleGuy

Reaction score
1.5 years in and I'm still searching for my 1st boat - I'm in the PNW, Vancouver Island specifically, and I'm looking for my 1st boat to cruise around the gulf islands and occasionally fish or crab. The water in my bay and around the gulf islands is typically pretty calm and generally speaking we'd be fair weather boating folks. Always within sight of land, although stray logs in the water are not uncommon. My wife would love a newer Jeanneau NC 695 or similar - it's quite the cabin cruiser that I'd also love but at well over 100K USD even for used, it's just not something I think is a smart choice for our 1st boat. We'd really like a pilot house as that would open up more of the season for us, but I think at least having a bimini with full drop curtain would help for those times when it is needed. I'd trailer the boat each time and after having spent time kayaking in the ocean, I see first hand how bad corrosion can be - so I want a boat that at least is best suited for the salt, and I realize how much extra work it would be washing down, flushing engines etc. I've got my eyes open on salt water boat ownership, but you never really know until you are in the thick of things how costly and time consuming it is. C'est la vie!

I've found a 2000 Grady 192. I'd really appreciate the feedback from members here on this forum both on the suitability of the boat for my intentions, plus on the general value of this boat. The older Evinrude has me a bit concerned, but I have no experience to back that up. It doesn't have the full drop curtain, so I'd have to acquire that somewhere 2nd hand.

Thank you!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ultimately, you have to be the one to decide if it's the right boat for you. But overall, for a small boat, it rides very nice. It has nice, soft re-entry. But obviously don't expect it to perform like a 25' boat. For mild conditions, it will be great - and if the weather chops up, you'll de safe enough in that boat that you can get home.

You said "older" engine... the ad states it's a 2012 - that's newer than the boat. That's only 9 years old. Years ago, there were issues with FICHT engines - but I'm pretty sure those were all ironed out quite a while ago. But because of those issues, it soured me on the FICHT stuff so I lost interest in following them - so what I'm talking about here may be a waste of time as they could be plenty reliable now. Just double check me and do some research.

As far as price goes, all boats are selling high right now. But that's definitely on the high, HIGH end of things. The pics don't show much of the overall condition and it would be good to see pics of the transom bang plate (google that or search on here). I just did repairs on this for '00 192 I found for my parents (although I knew that going into the sale). For reference, this boat has Yamaha 150, but it's a 2000 model. So this isn't a perfect apples to apples comparison... but we negotiated to roughly half the price of the one you're looking at.

Don't go into this expecting to find a used set of curtains - plan on having them made for you. IF you end up finding a used set, consider yourself very lucky. Very, very lucky.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Me and my brother in law have owned our 1994 192 since new in it's early years it spent it's time in the San Juan's Bainbridge Island area as a dive boat salmon Boat Ski Boat etc..and it has been fantastic in rougher water now in the last 20 all it has been in is Lake Union next to a house boat and now in Ocean Shores in the fresh water Canals it still has the original Yammie 150 Saltwater and the boat is still in great shape these boats are tough and can do alot of things but they do have their limitations I would not take it out in Westport or anywhere in the Ocean in 6 ft swells or anything like that but I can tell ya they can do alot now I am looking to sell as this boat is Overkill for where it has been used in the last 20 years avg speed 15 knots LOL Seriously that is the speed limit on Lake union and 5 knots in the Canals here in Ocean Shores hate to get rid of it though She's been a Great boat I highly recommend these boats for Puget Sound, San Juans etc... mine also has a Bimini top and bow cover and back Curtian which I never use because I do not go out in crap weather anymore

Last edited:

hardasset

Reaction score
I have an ‘02 192 with an ‘02 OX66 SWSII. It is a great boat. You can get a snap on cover for just the front and with that and the windshield closed, it provides a pretty good degree of protection on cool days. You can likely get an isenglass enclosure that will snap to the windshield from the Bimini to provide even greater protection. I use mine for crabbing occasionally and it has a good size cockpit for that.

without the sun lounger and live well, it would open up even more. I say go for it and see how you like it. You can always sell if you decide it doesn’t meet your needs.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ran a 17' Silver Streak in your area from February through July back in 1998. It was a similar performing boat to the 192 although the 1992s I've been in on the Gulf of Mexico have a softer ride than my old SS. I have a few comments that you may find helpful in making your decision:

1. That is all the boat you need for the Gulf Islands. We used to run out of Sidney down to the San Juans during the summer. You just need to pick your days and avoid the tide rips. I used to fish out of Bamfield, Port Hardy, and Port Renfrew quite a bit. That sized boat is perfect for Vancouver Island since it is easily trailerable and lets you chase the fish where ever the bite may be.

2. You will need a front cover, bimini top, and side curtains during the winter. I never used my rear drop curtain except when I kept the boat in the water overnight. I found that it got too stuffy in that small enclosed area even during the winter.

3. You need to be concerned about the E-TEC since they are no longer made. Bombardier says that they will continue to supply parts, but nobody knows for how long they will do that. The engines themselves, while giving good overall performance, have not been as reliable as the 4-strokes. At least in Florida, most problems occur in engines that are not run very often. Both the fuel injectors and electronics have been problematic. You can look up stories of E-Tec reliability on sites such as The Hull Truth. So you should contact a local dealer and ask about service before getting a boat with an E-TEC.

4. That is actually a good price for a freshwater boat in this market. You may be able to get some leverage in negotiation because of the E-TEC. Very few people around here have been able to get a good price on boats with E-TECs and some have even repowered in order to sell their boats.

Reactions: PointedRose

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I answered your Q on THT as well. Doc Stressor is right about the front cover for when it's cold or choppy.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I have a 2021 192 with the Yamaha 150 DFI and I couldn't be happier with the boat. Rides like a much bigger heavier boat but is easy to trail and maneuver. I run it mostly in Nantucket Sound (south of Cape Cod, MA) and it handles the chop a lot better than friends of mine who have bigger (non-GW) boats. Agree with the comment above regarding the bow enclosure and closed windshield when things kick up.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Ok I have a 2000 192 with a 2000 Merc 150 motor, I'm in Atlantic Highlands NJ I'm in the bay and ocean all the time. This boat handles great in either, had it in chop and bunch of times in the fall looking for strippers. Always felt safe, I love this boat and think you would too. With the upgrade on the motor you should get years of enjoyment. Have a reputable mechanic look it over ,do a compression test on the motor and check the transom for any signs of damage. Not sure what there asking, but don't pay it bring cash and negotiate.

Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I live in the PNW, have a beach cabin on Whidbey island and am having a surveyor go out this week to check on a 228 Seafarer for me. Hopefully it’s as advertised because I’ve been looking all over for one for almost a year now. Imo, and this is just my opinion, I am not a fan of open bow or center console boats in the PNW, especially when you mention fishing or crabbing. If it was going to be a lake boat and/or cruiser then I’d say maybe. That being said, with the boat you linked, there’s no cabin space to put any gear for fishing or crabbing like downriggers, nets, crab pots, safety gear like life jackets and so on. Plus, you really can’t sleep on the boat overnight, even if you wanted to. If you’re even remotely thinking about the possibility of fishing or crabbing, I’d look more into a walk around, and I’d start at the minimum of a 208 Adventure, if not more like a 226/228 Seafarer or even a 232 Gulfstream. Imo, and again this is just my opinion, the walk around boats are so much more versatile than an open bow boat in that you can fish, crab, cruise, stay overnight, have a locked cabin for all of your gear and so on. The smaller open bows might have a small compartment for storing some gear but I can’t imagine it would hold very much. And best of all, most of the 226/228 Seafarer’s and bigger have a hardtop so that it keeps you out of the elements. If you’re anything like me, 20-30 minutes in the sun without suntan lotion on, and especially when the sun reflects off the water, makes me look similar in color to a boiled lobster. Or on the opposite end, it keeps you out of the wind and rain if you get caught in a storm or are anything other than fair weather boaters.

Last edited: