2000 Grady 209 Escape Repower or New Powerhead

mlgrady20

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Grady Escape 209 with a 1999 Yamaha 200HP OX66 Saltwater Series Motor that needs a new powerhead. The boat was almost sold but during compression test the 6th and final cylinder to be tested had ZERO compression. The engine was taken apart by a Master Yamaha Mechanic and the bad news is that it needs a new power head. The question I have is has anyone ever had a Yamaha Outboard rebuilt with a Jasper Powerhead and at this point is it worth spending upward of $8,000 to fix the motor or re power with a newer engine. The motor has also been cared for and is otherwise in excellent mechanical condition. In addition the motor runs with no issue and has not been a problem in the past. Looking for advice. Either way I would like to sell the boat and upgrade to a 306 Bimini.

L.R.

Reaction score
If You planning on selling it,I'd try and find a good later model used Yamaha and put on it..You'll never recoup anywhere near the $8K...

seasick

Reaction score
mlgrady20 said:
I have a 2000 Grady Escape 209 with a 1999 Yamaha 200HP OX66 Saltwater Series Motor that needs a new powerhead. The boat was almost sold but during compression test the 6th and final cylinder to be tested had ZERO compression. The engine was taken apart by a Master Yamaha Mechanic and the bad news is that it needs a new power head. The question I have is has anyone ever had a Yamaha Outboard rebuilt with a Jasper Powerhead and at this point is it worth spending upward of $8,000 to fix the motor or re power with a newer engine. The motor has also been cared for and is otherwise in excellent mechanical condition. In addition the motor runs with no issue and has not been a problem in the past. Looking for advice. Either way I would like to sell the boat and upgrade to a 306 Bimini.

A
I agree on finding a used motor. Of course, if you are selling it, you may think about selling it as a hull only. If the market value unpowered ( or with a bad motor) is not more than $8,000 below what you think it would be worth with a running motor, why go through the expense and hassle and the unknowns that often pop up during a rebuild?

One comment you made has me a bit perplexed. You say the motor ran fine. There were no symptoms of a dead cylinder? What exactly did the mechanic find? Just currious.

mlgrady20

Reaction score
These are pictures the Yamaha Tech took after taking apart the motor. The motor ran with no issues as I had it up to 5200 RPMs the day the boat came out of the water before the compression test. I forgot to add that the head on the spark plug was bent down on the cylinder which had ZERO compression. Some lucky person might be getting a great deal on a hull and trailer for the right price before Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,284
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,284

seasick

Reaction score
Ouch!!

Yup that looks bad. I am still surprised that the motor seemed to be running OK.
Bummer of a surprise for the holidays. Good luck with whichever plan you decide to take. And condrats on the new boat.
Seasick

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's not so terrible. The motor is worth about 4K in good running shape. I suspect you can get close to 2K out of the parts, lower unit, tilt-trim, HP fuel pump etc.