2000 Gulfstream 232 trailer question

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
In another post there was a trailer that appeared to be undersized for a Grady White. My son and I have questioned the trailer I got with the boat last summer and want expert opinions. We would like to trailer from Burlington VT to Lake Ontario this August and want to be sure we are in a good spot (note we trailered it home from Long Island). Trailer, Load Rite, has dual wheels with brakes.

Picture attached from trailer.

Attachments

• 81C83861-3441-4A1E-919A-9B3EA2AE33F8.jpeg
    81C83861-3441-4A1E-919A-9B3EA2AE33F8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You're gonna need a bigger trailer. The only way that one works is if you have a single engine, no fuel, and no gear.
The only other (long shot) to make it work is to determine what the limiting factor is on the trailer. My trailer has a max capacity of 8400 lbs. In my case the limiting factor is the tires. The trailer has tandem 6k lb axles. The frame is the same as the 10k trailer from Loadrite. If you are lucky and your tires are the limiting factor, you might be able to go to the next load range tire. Good luck trying to figure that out. Loadrite is about as responsive as the wall.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree that the trailer probably isn't meant for a 232 Gulfstream, especially yours which has twin 150 Yamaha's on it. I always like utilizing the Grady White website for their current model of boats when applicable, but if you look up the testing weight of the 232 Gulfstream with twin 150 Yamaha's on it, it shows a testing weight of 7,228 lbs which includes (persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories). Which isn't obviously 100% accurate for towing, as you're likely not going to be towing the boat and trailer with 3-4 people in it or testing equipment and so forth. But per the sticker on your trailer, it looks like it's showing the maximum carrying capacity at only 6,000 lbs, and I'd very much assume the weight of your boat by itself is going to be at or near almost 7k lbs.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with the others. Your trailer is definitely undersized for your Gulfstream, especially with twins. It's a new enough trailer to get decent money out of when you sell, then re-invest in a trailer better suited for your boat. Living in Kentucky and trailering to different destinations, I understand the need for a correct sized trailer. If possible get a trailer with at least 14" tires, 15" even better. Reason being is the Goodyear Endurance tire sizes start at 14". Highly recommend the Goodyear's for a trailer tire, American made and not a minutes trouble from mine. Getting ready for my second set this year, not worn out, just going on 5 years old, and for the distance I pull, I want a fresh set of tires under my boat. I also have my tires balanced, makes for better wear and smoother ride going down the road.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My 2007 232 GUlfstream with twin 200's weighed 10,100lbs including trailer.

I had a tandem rig with 7K axles and electric brakes. The boat belongs to my son nowadays and I trailer it to Michigan in the summer from Indiana and one trip a year to the Keys.

Please overbuild your trailer. the Gulfstream is kind of a load to jerk around and the beefier your trailer, the better.

KY Grady is correct on the Goodyear Endurance series. I've used them for the last several years and not one problem. Great tires.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So you made it back from your initial trip and all was good so it's not like it's going to magically explode... sometimes issues take a bit to build up (like bearing overheating). SOMETIMES things happen quickly... sometimes they take a little more time. At this point, you're probably on borrowed time and it's good you're looking into it.

Question... did someone ALREADY upgrade the trailer? I'm going to guess "not" because that's the 5-Star version of Load Rite (their entry level line). Chances are, the reason someone bought that was for storage only.

Best bet... reach out to your local Load Rite dealer and have them contact their LR rep with the VIN. See if anything can be done to upgrade. You "might" get lucky with just tires/wheels - for example, going from those 215/14C's to 225/15D's would get you about another 2,400lbs in capacity... IF the axles are rated for it. You may/may not have to modify the fenders... probably not, though.

Do you have brakes on BOTH axles?

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great comments. Concerning to say the least.

When I purchased the boat and trailer never thought it would have been undersized thinking they were paired up. My old trailer for my Bayliner Ciera 2655 was much beefer and never thought to swap out. Hindsight now.

Currently I transport the boat twice a year from my home to the launch which is approximately three miles at best. Flat and nice launch. Definitely second guessing going to Lake Ontario unless I can find a trailer that is a better fit.

Do have brakes on both axles. Need to look at tire sizes in the morning but really don’t see where it helps in my quest.

Once again thanks for everyone’s thoughts and experiences! Amazing wealth of info on this forum.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pfu:

This makes me upset to a certain degree.

Many dealers sell an inadequate trailer with their boat to entice a sale with an attractive price point. There is zero thought given to the problems the new owner will have in the future in the form of premature bearing failure, uneven tire wear as the weight of the hull bends the axles in time, changing the "Camber" of the wheels...welds can break as the rig gets hauled over bumpy roads; brakes need replaced more often than they should; I could go on.

This won't happen all at once, but believe me, I've experienced it first hand with my 1992 Seafarer and it's trailer. Like you, I didn't give it another thought, figuring they knew what they were doing when the Dealer matched the two together. Then....

As I mentioned above, if your trailer can't be properly upgraded as Dennis suggested might be an option, make sure you really overbuild it, especially if you may make long trips in the future.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A 232 should be on an 8600 capacity (10400 GVW) trailer. Your trailer is 6000 capacity (7000 GVW). The bigger trailer will have bigger axles and (likely) 15” tires. It also will likely be built on 6.5” or bigger I beam.

Finally, get brakes on both axles. Your current trailer only has them on one.

Reactions: Pfu

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The OP said earlier that his current trailer has brakes on both axles.

To the OP, I think your 3 mile jaunts to your local boat launch can definitely be achieved with your current setup as long as you take it slow and so on. That being said, I'm not sure where you launch in Lake Ontario but the minimum distance between Burlington, VT and Lake Ontario is close to 200 miles each way, or so. Which yes, that's a long ways to go roundtrip towing a boat with an undersized trailer and not something that I'd do or recommend doing.

Reactions: Pfu

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2004 Gulfstream sits on an EZ Loader 6800 pound tandem galvanized steel trailer and have had no issue with this set up. A single engine with a kicker.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Met with local dealer today. Went though the math with many questions. Boat, motor and gear are within 100#. Where it gets dicey is fuel as I have twin 92 gallon tanks. If both were full he agreed trailer was not sufficient. Recommended not traveling with more than 20 gallons in each tank (stated always have some fuel in each tank while traveling). We talked about my trip from Long Island to Vermont when I purchased the boat and our average speed. Average was approximately 60mph which he felt was safe enough. Note only have one axle with brakes and was mistaken in earlier post.

He also asked if I pack the boat with other items for a trip like tents, grills and miscellaneous as would not put in the boat. He was aware of a local GW 232 with same trailer (NYer). He may have gone to 15“ tires but nothing more. Supposedly he brings boat to LO and Cape Cod each year.

Never met him before but seemed knowlegdeable. Of course if money was not an issue he said buy a trailer for ease of mind but he didn’t have one in stock.

Boat goes in the water in two weeks at the latest. Bigger tires most likely in the picture unless I find a deal somewhere. Lake Ontarioremains questionable today but have ten weeks to prepare and decide as safety for me and others is a deciding factor.

Can’t say it enough, everyone’s feedback greatly appreciated.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
So you made it back from your initial trip and all was good so it's not like it's going to magically explode... sometimes issues take a bit to build up (like bearing overheating). SOMETIMES things happen quickly... sometimes they take a little more time. At this point, you're probably on borrowed time and it's good you're looking into it.

Question... did someone ALREADY upgrade the trailer? I'm going to guess "not" because that's the 5-Star version of Load Rite (their entry level line). Chances are, the reason someone bought that was for storage only.

Best bet... reach out to your local Load Rite dealer and have them contact their LR rep with the VIN. See if anything can be done to upgrade. You "might" get lucky with just tires/wheels - for example, going from those 215/14C's to 225/15D's would get you about another 2,400lbs in capacity... IF the axles are rated for it. You may/may not have to modify the fenders... probably not, though.

Do you have brakes on BOTH axles?
Note the local dealer has VIN and is to get back with me next week if rep has other ideas and thoughts.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can buy a trailer elsewhere and trade that one in or sell it.

Check with Diamond Marine in CT….website shows he may have something in the right size in a Venture Commander Tandem.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Note the local dealer has VIN and is to get back with me next week if rep has other ideas and thoughts.
I'm assuming it wouldn't be very cost effective to do, but is the dealer able to upgrade your current trailer to larger axles while retaining most of the other items like the brakes, tires, wheels and so forth? Axles by themselves aren't too terribly expensive, but when you start adding in other things like needing larger brakes, tires, wheels and so on then it probably makes more sense to sell what you've got and buy something else.