2000 GW GulfStream water in engine bracket???

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2000 GS with twin 200 H.P. Evinrudes on the backet. I feel like the stern of the boat sits a little too low in the water. Is there anyway that the bracket could be filled with water>???? Anyway I can check while its in the water??? I've been looking at picks of other Gulfstreams and they seem to sit differently in the water. A little higher in the back.

IMG_20120909_093515_zps11e8c54c.jpg

gwgs23_zpsf76b85a9.jpg

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Pull the inspection plate on the top of the bracket and check ... :wink:

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i wouldn't do that inspection in the water.

there could be some water in there. my '02 with a gil bracket was pretty loaded the first year. the inspection plate that is visible was not water-tight. there was a nylon plug on the underside of the bracket. i opened it and the top plate and washed out the bracket. i sealed the top plate back on with some boatlife life seal (i think it's like a 3m 4200). i greased the nylon plug and o-ring and GENTLY reinstalled under the bracket (hand tight is good, i think someone cranked the original because is was broken and i had to replace - $15 a pop!). every year at lay up i opened the bottom plug to check for water. didn't have any after the first year. regrease the plug and o-ring and reseal (did i say GENTLY?).

you don't look too low in the pictures.

good luck, ron

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I dont see any problem pulling that inspection plate on top of your bracket while in the water. Ive done mine and its there for a reason. If you find water , pump it out for now and do as Elyse M says when you pull the boat next time.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
slight modification; i wouldn't do the inspection in the water where i slip my boat. if you're in calm waters, good luck. i know i did not have an easy time screwing the plate back on.

ron

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
If I was to open the inspection plate to check if water is in there, the water would come rushing in. The motors plus myself on the platform puts the inspection hole under water.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
REEL NAUTI said:
If I was to open the inspection plate to check if water is in there, the water would come rushing in. The motors plus myself on the platform puts the inspection hole under water.

Sounds like you may be right in your "water in the bracket " assumption.

Peahead

Reaction score
Could you not ask the the girl in the companion seat to go up to the bow with a couple more people (or other balast) hence bringing the bracket inspection plate above water ( then pump it out) ?

Also if you have less fuel in your main tank the stern will sit higher in the water.....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If your bracket has the formed foam floatation blocks in there, it holds approx. 11 gals of water, each gallon of water weights approx. 8.6 lbs as I recall.

There is also a very large area under the fixed cockpit deck on either side of the gas tanks filled to the top with foam. If it is saturated will weight heavily.

If gas tank compartment drains are plugged will stop draining bilge spaces and build up.

gw204

Reaction score
How much fuel are you carrying and how is it distributed between the main and aux tanks?

Here's how my old Sailfish used to sit with a pair of 225s...light on fuel.

IMG_6497.jpg

I seldom had any fuel in the aux. tank, which was 50 gal and just aft of the main tank. I would

grady23

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my gulfstream TWICE in the past 4 years. I ordered and replaced both the inspection and drain plug seals again this year. Mine is a GIL brand bracket. I did have a problem getting any amount of torque on the screws that hold in the inspection plate cover. The ring inside the bracket is only plastic and comes loose easily. I glued mine in. To be on the safe side, I siliconed the inside of the seal and again after I installed the cover, I did the outside edge of the plate as well. Be careful about the insert where the drain plug screws in. Mine popped out and I had to rig up a slide string with a washer on it. I then mixed up some waterproof epoxy and put it on the underside of the insert. I slid it in to place and used the washer to put downward force on the expoxy and tied a 4Lb weight to the string and let it set for about 3 Hrs. Seemed to work fine. Only an in-water test will tell for sure.