2000 islander 26.8

Tigercat

Reaction score
Anyone own a 2000 Grady White Islander? How’s the Islander handle offshore in moderate conditions 2/4 feet ?

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is my understanding the last year the 268 Islander was made until 1999. This hull has a Eurotransom that serves as a fiberglass bracket. The hull running surface stops short by about 2 feet. Brackets get cleaner water to the props.

In 2000 the 270 Islander was introduced that took the running surfaces all the way back. This adds additional flotation needed for 4-stroke 6-cylinder engines.

The narrower 8' 6" beam of both models has a finer entry.

To really answer your question you need to be more specific. I run around in FL in some pretty nasty stuff but the runs are short and I take it slow. In NJ the trip across DE bay can be a slow ride in a Southerly swell.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I own a 2002 Islander. This hull can handle 2 to 4 foot head seas very well. The hull does not handle a following sea as well.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How does the 2000 26.8 islander handle the following seas ?
You mean a 1999 or in my case 1997 Islander 268. I don't have much of a problem with following seas. I have more of an issue with head seas. I'm in the process of changing props to see if I can improve low speed plaining which is my only complaint. Overall I'm quite happy with my choice.

Tigercat

Reaction score
It is my understanding the last year the 268 Islander was made until 1999. This hull has a Eurotransom that serves as a fiberglass bracket. The hull running surface stops short by about 2 feet. Brackets get cleaner water to the props.

In 2000 the 270 Islander was introduced that took the running surfaces all the way back. This adds additional flotation needed for 4-stroke 6-cylinder engines.

The narrower 8' 6" beam of both models has a finer entry.

To really answer your question you need to be more specific. I run around in FL in some pretty nasty stuff but the runs are short and I take it slow. In NJ the trip across DE bay can be a slow ride in a Southerly swell. The boat I’m currently looking at is a 2000 and is listed as a 26.8 islander not a 27 islander

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Tigercat - Ask the seller to describe the running surface under the boat. If it goes completely to the transom and trim tabs its a 270 Islander. If it stops and has a Eurotransom its a 268.

I don't know if you can get to Brian on OCNSIR (previous 270 owner) but he is a tremendous resource.

Check out this thread:

This is what a 270 looks like.
270 style hull.jpeg

Last edited:

SVCap

Reaction score
Recently sold our Islander and downsized to a 191CE. Age and health made the choice for us, though, not the Grady. It handled well for us in numerous Gulf trips offshore for the several years we owned her. Handled 2-4 quite well although the the shorter running surface mentioned in the other post caused some reduction in the ‘optimum’ speed we would select for those conditions. In every case we were able to get a comfortable ride using the combination of speed, engine trim (twin Yamaha 150s) and trim tabs. In following seas she needed a bit more bow up trim to breach longer wavespans if it got really testy.

Tigercat

Reaction score
Tigercat - Ask the seller to describe the running surface under the boat. If it goes completely to the transom and trim tabs its a 270 Islander. If it stops and has a Eurotransom its a 268.

I don't know if you can get to Brian on OCNSIR (previous 270 owner) but he is a tremendous resource.

Check out this thread:

This is what a 270 looks like.
View attachment 17140Yes the boat I’m looking at looks just like the one in picture trim tabs are the exact same way..It’s a 2000 with 225s on it..

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
They did some goofy numbering on that model. 99-00 had different hulls, but were called 268's. Same boat in 01 was called 270 and stayed that way through 05 despite having a complete redesign on the top side in 03.