2000 Johnson starter problems

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We're having a bit of a heat wave here and I'm dieing to take the boat out. When I attempted to start her yesterday afternoon, the starter motor turned over very slowly, the volt meter on the instrument panel went from about 13 volts to about 8, the fuel guage went from empty (off) to full, and my oil tank guage went from empty (off) to full. The bendix gear did not engaged the flywheel. The motor is a 2000 Johnson 200 hp carberated.

I did some obvious things - checked and tightened battery cable connections, recharged both batteries, etc. I replaced one of the batteries a couple of weeks ago. Starter behaves the same whether the battery selector switch is on 1, 2 or both.

When I took the boat out back in January, I had to charge the batteries before I could get it started. I seem to recall forgetting that I had the charger still on one of the batteries and trying to start the engine. I remember it really turning over fast. I think I disconnected the charger and then started the engine. We were out an hour or two but I don't think I tried to start it again. The charger is a 10/2 amp model. I checked its output yesterday and its charging voltage is 15.3.

I have a guage somewhere for testing the amp draw of starters and plan to locate it today. Meanwhile, is there anything else that could cause the started to appear to be drawing big amps and turn over slowly? The solenoid is the only other device I see in the circuit and they usually either work or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary 89 Overnighter

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, SFC. I suspected grounds were the problem yesterday when the guages jumped around but didn't look all that closely. This morning after reading your message, I started at the engine taking apart and cleaning the ground wires. When I got into the starboard side battery area where battery 1 (on my boat) is, I was moving the cables around as I tried to trace the ground cable from the engine. That's when I noticed that I had failed to connect the ground cable from battery 2 to battery 1 when I changed the batteries. After hooking up the ground cable, everything works as it should. Embarrassing mistake but I'm happy it was a simple solution (and cheap!). Boat leaves the dock in a half hour.
Gary

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gald it worked out. I usally start with the ground when ever I have problems with my cars, boat electrical. Once I know the ground is good I can move on. I have seen people rip apart there engine, replace parts, ect only to find out there was some corrision on a ground cable causing the problem.

Have agreat time out there, Wish it would warm up here..... I had dewinterized my engine this time last year it was so warm. Was on the water by mid March 65 deg cathing winter flounder. Not so much this year, now looking at April to unwrap her.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to start at the most basic point. Recently, the left signal light on the boat trailer wasn't working. Figured a bulb was blown and when I took the lens apart, I found that it was a sealed unit - had to buy the whole light. Cheapest replacement was 12-something plus shipping. Said phooey and procrastinated. Hooked up to my neighbor's pontoon boat trailer the other day to transport some 20' composite deck boards. Left signal light didn't work there, either. Turns out I have separate fuses for all the lighting on the trailer, something I never expected on a Ford Ranger.

Had a great ride out to the bay yesterday. Wind had kicked up against the tide so river was pretty rough on the way out but the bay was was pretty calm. Lots of sailboats out and a number of boats out fishing, mostly CCs with no protection. Would love to know what they were after. Round trip was a bit over 30 miles. I was very pleased with the boats performance.

We took the boat out in January, too. Had ice a couple of inches thick around the dock but a thaw softened it and the wind broke up a lot of it and floated down river. I was able to break up the ice under the boat lift and managed to get a big chunk to break away in front of the dock. Dropped the boat in the water and went down river. It was fun but had to watch out for the "iceburgs". When we came back in, we had to use a paddle and boat hook to push large chunks of ice out of the way so we could get to the dock and then had to clear the lift area. Guess I'm wierd because I thoroughly enjoyed dealing with the elements.

Gary 89 Overnighter

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you tow your overnighter with a ford ranger? Just curious.

I have been towing mine with a Jepp Cherokee, the ramp is only 6 miles from my house. The jeeps ac blew and dont want to pay 2k to replace it. Was looking at a used small pickup, ( ranger, tacoma) or F150(if in the budget)

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do but haven't gone long distances. I have an extended cab 4x4 - 4.0 litre engine and 5 speed manual tranny. The only time it struggles is on the hills at highway speeds. The 4x4 suspension is very stable - it doesn't get jerked around by the boat/trailer.

I've towed it with a neighbor's early 90's Suburban and a later 90s F150. Both ran away with it. They weren't much more stable tho'. For your short tow, a Ranger 4x4 w/ 4.0 V6 or similar class vehicle would be adequate. An f150 or similar class vehicle would be much better.

Have you considered going to a salvage yard to replace the blown components? You should be able to get your AC back for a fraction of the $$$.

Gary 89 Overnighter

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am pretty suprised at the Jeeps power, Pulls that thing pretty good and quite stable. Boat loaded and trailer come in around 4200 lbs. But most of my area is flat. Jeep says rated for 5k, I have a tranny cooler but I would never tow anthing that heavy on the highway with it. Just dont trust the brakes. I think the trailer actually has better brakes than the Jeep Cherokee ,lol. But was looking at a ranger as a replacment I just never looked into the tow cap.

I did check with some junk yards but my condenser is bad , it is behind the dash board , it has a hole in it. I dont have the tools or the time to get into it. Only reason we need the air is for my wife, I could care less. Am gonna try using some of that sealer and see if it will help.