2000 Marlin 300 re-power

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm closing a deal on a 2000 Marlin 300 with the original 250 OX66's and am thinking the re-power route. I was just quoted 52K plus tax for a reposer with new 2014 Digital control F250's. They are lighter than the older Offshore version. They offered $1,500 for each of the OX66 FI 250's ( which I think is low?). I searched the site for any updated performance info but couldn't find any.

Your input would be helpful.

Thx

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
lgusto said:
Can't picture going with 250s these days when the 300s are lighter, faster and not much more money.

In 2000, the Marlin 300 was rated at 500HP maximum.

fischer

Reaction score
My '05 marlin does fine with the F250s, although I wish it had electronic controls. My boat's performance come really close to the performance numbers on the Grady site. It cruises fully loaded in the low to mid 30s and although I haven't ever really opened it up, I've seen over 40 mph. I don't think there's much more on top though. Decent economy, around 1.2-1.3 at cruise. If I was repowering, I'd go with the F300s, but if I had to stick with the F250s, I certainly wouldn't feel sorry for myself. You could sell the old motors yourself; I'd assume the dealer is going to give you less than half of retail. They must be decent for the dealer to offer you as much as they did. Get the four strokes, if you can swing the money, and don't look back. You'll never be sorry.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes, the 2000 Marlin 300 transom is rated for 500hp max. I hope to get better reposer pricing as the season ends in the Northeast. The dealer was offering 1500 back on each 250 OX 66 which I think is total BS!

Gary M

Reaction score
If your OX-66s are in good shape why not save the $50k? I have them on my 2001 and yes I'd love to have new 250s but I'd also enjoy having that $$$ in the bank!

I'd rather sell my 2001 then take that $50k extra and go shopping for a newer Marlin that has original F250s.......

1) Don't think that you'll ever get your $$ back in fuel savings
2) Don't think that your boat will now be worth $50k extra, on the used market

But, yes, I totally understand wanting the 4-strokes........

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Good point Gary.

I have run the fuel expense vs repower cost thru my mind and :

The current as well newer than 2000 models have only had major topside changes in the rear jumpseat and fish storage area. It appears that the helm area has remained relatively the same . The hull will most likely never improve, That being said as well as the fact that there is a point that the date of construction of a boat of this size is not as important as how it has been maintained and updated with electronics, lighting etc. . So.............my thought is I purchased my '00 Marlin 300 for $40,000 with OX 66 250's. I spend much of my time boating further ( 30 - 50 miles +) offshore where our local towing and salvage operators may not always venture. That being said there is a value in new engines that I have personally been responsible for from the get-go. If I were to wait 3 years before a re-power I would loose 3 years of benefit . Understanding that I would need to keep the vessel longer than 5 years and clear 65k at a 30k loss.

I was dead against purchasing a newer ( 2006-07) Marlin for 90K plus with 5-600 hrs + when I could re-power at the same value.

I may be dead wrong in my thought process but I also rather finance a brand new set of outboards than a complete boat with last generation motors. The new 250 4.2L's digital motors as sweet as well lighter in weight.

Best,
Tom

fishbust

Reaction score
98, having repowered a boat in the past, I can see your reasoning for repowering. Nothing like hanging brand new power on a boat. It is awesome.

This time around, last winter I also bought a model 2000 but have no intention of repowering the grady anytime soon.
If they are in great shape and you go over them, no reason not to run them. Mine needed the basics, all filters, fresh t-stats, plugs, O2 sensors, the rest of the usual annuals, etc and they run awesome, only around 400 hours, long way to go yet. I am getting 1.4/1.5 mpg trimmed up with full fuel and full water, 1.2/1.3 in rougher water, so no complaints here. A repower for me can wait.

On the trades, yes their price will always be low, as they must go through them and turn them around for sale. Part of the lower price is compensated by the convenience of not having to pull them, try to sell them and deal with the whole thing. Trading in, for us, is about convenience.

seasick

Reaction score
Gary M said:
If your OX-66s are in good shape why not save the $50k? I have them on my 2001 and yes I'd love to have new 250s but I'd also enjoy having that $$$ in the bank!

I'd rather sell my 2001 then take that $50k extra and go shopping for a newer Marlin that has original F250s.......

1) Don't think that you'll ever get your $$ back in fuel savings
2) Don't think that your boat will now be worth $50k extra, on the used market

But, yes, I totally understand wanting the 4-strokes........
I agree. if you are going to spend the bucks on new power, look for a later model Marlin with later model motors. There can be many issue when repowering from 2s to 4s motors. Trim and balance for example in addition to rerigging, harnesses and instrumentation.

fischer

Reaction score
It's a pleasure craft - there's no good reason to spend any money on it, except that it's fun. The other thing you can't really put a price tag on is the confidence that you can go out and come back to the dock under your own power, safely and relatively efficiently. There's nothing really efficient about pushing a boat through the water with any kind of engine, but if I can save any money on fuel, I regard it as increased range for trips to the Keys, etc. and not money in my pocket. I'm just going to go more miles. There are a million better ways to save money than with your boat.

Except that the 2005 updated layout and closed cooling system on the generator were important to me, I would have strongly considered buying a slightly older Marlin and repowered with new F250s. I have repowered an older boat with a four stroke Yamaha and the peace of mind, confidence, warranty, and the quiet efficiency - were worth every penny. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If money's not a problem, I can't think of a better way to spend it on a boat than new engines.

seasick

Reaction score
fischer said:
It's a pleasure craft - there's no good reason to spend any money on it, except that it's fun. The other thing you can't really put a price tag on is the confidence that you can go out and come back to the dock under your own power, safely and relatively efficiently. There's nothing really efficient about pushing a boat through the water with any kind of engine, but if I can save any money on fuel, I regard it as increased range for trips to the Keys, etc. and not money in my pocket. I'm just going to go more miles. There are a million better ways to save money than with your boat.

Except that the 2005 updated layout and closed cooling system on the generator were important to me, I would have strongly considered buying a slightly older Marlin and repowered with new F250s. I have repowered an older boat with a four stroke Yamaha and the peace of mind, confidence, warranty, and the quiet efficiency - were worth every penny. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If money's not a problem, I can't think of a better way to spend it on a boat than new engines.
Unless of course you repowered with F225/250 and then had your exhaust and oil pan rot out:)
The Saltwater Series, though noisy and fuel hungry were and are some of the most reliable motors produced.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Hey I need to replace my motors would you sell them outright???

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I hear all the thoughts.
I agree on the durability of the OX 66 injected motors. I believe that the best performance combination of weight + HP = economy was Grady's combination of the Sailfish 272 and twin OX66 225hp Saltwater Series Injected motors. Yes, I too saw the same GPH burns of 1.3-1.4 at cruise of 27-28 MPH. The Marlin 300 on the other hand is a entirely different animal. Weighing in at almost 2 tons heavier with 306 gallons of fuel, and 35 gallons of water its best GPH is usually 1gph at 28 mph..........or worse in difficult seas. This boat was Grady's battlewagon for many years until the express configuration became popular. Recent Grady testing has been made available for various outboard packages. Since the Marlin hull has not changed since later 1998 fuel economy ratings with the newer 4.2L blocks is a great guideline for re power for my 2000 Marlin 300. I would expect to see 1.3 at cruise under the same conditions. Purchasing a Marlin hull without the early production 4strokes was my focus as I want to be in complete control of my new engine package with digital 250hp units and fly-by-wire controls and avoid the older pre 05 units with their eventual exhaust corrosion issues.

I look forward to more quotes.

Best, To Tom≥÷

fischer

Reaction score
seasick said:
fischer said:

Unless of course you repowered with F225/250 and then had your exhaust and oil pan rot out:)
The Saltwater Series, though noisy and fuel hungry were and are some of the most reliable motors produced.

We're not talking about early 225s or 250s here. The motors are brand new.