2000 Sailfish 272 Livewell Lid

Jamato14

Reaction score
The livewell lid “handle” to open my livewell on my 272 sailfish is completely ruined. The glass must have had gaps and the washers were too small so one too many pulls opening it and the livewell lid now has a 1/2” diameter hole with soft core. For the remainder of the season was thinking of just plugging with something so I can use it but I hate the style “handle” that’s stock. Anyone have any ideas or advice for fixing it? My primary fishing for stripers and tuna is live bait so the livewell is used every time I’m on the boat so want to make or find something strong to handle going in it numerous times.

Jamato14

Reaction score
Post a couple pics - that way more people will know what you're talking about and can help.
Will do, forgot to take some today but will be back at the boat Thursday to get some.

Basically the sailfish 272 has a small circular handle with a key ring on the bottom (in water) side. So when you pull the handle up the small “key ring” digs into the hatch a little. If you use it a lot it wears through. I’ll post up pics Thursday.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, OK, I know the kind you mean. For a quick repair, clean out the core a bit and stuff it with PC-11. Then use a larger washer (fender washer) on the bottom side - use two or three washers if you need to get to the right size. If you want to replace it, there's all kinds of hatch "pulls" you can get - but you'll need to do a little more surgery to get them to fit.