2000 Yamaha 200HP HPDI Good motor?

bdubz06

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking at a boat with a 2000 Yami HPDI 200HP 2 stroke. On my current Grady I have an 06 Yami 200HP 4 stroke. I really enjoy the four stroke but just wanted to get your opinion on the HPDI. I've read that the SSII series are not good 2-strokes but can't find very much on the HPDI.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 200 HPDI's have a solid reputation. They are reliable, use little oil, and have long life, if taken proper care. It was the 250 and 300 HPDI which had a muddy record. From what I know about them, you should be happy with those engines.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I have a pair since 05 and never a problem. Very little smoke and dont use much oil and great at cruise with fuel. :)

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2000 200HPDI on my 1989 Grady. We had the 2nd boat in NJ repowered with them so our HPDI was from the first shipment of HPDI's. We had no issues, just the fuel pumps went after 6 years. Engine has a lot of power, is very good on gas. If going with a 2 stroke, it would be my choice hands down. The HPDI engines that had a bad rep were the 250 and 300's, the 200 never had an issue. If you are buying a 2000, there are some required software updates that were required, I think back in 2001 due to the temp the engine ran at, but if it has been in for service it should have that and anything else that was needed. The first series of HPDI's had a slightly different ignition then the late 2000-present engines. Ours has the original ignition, Yamaha offered to replace it to the new one for half the cost, we too our chances and have not had a single issue with it but we do run a different spark plug that runs a little cooler to work with the ignition system. The only difference between the two is at idle the HPDI is a little louder, but it is much quieter then most 2 strokes, especially the opti's. You will burn oil with the HPDI, but fuel efficiency on many boats is better with the HPDI. It really is a wash, the fuel savings are lost with the cost of oil but they will cost about the same in the end to operate except the HPDI should have a little more range.

Kromke

Reaction score
I just bought an 88 sailfish 25 ft with twin 200 HPDI's...

What kind of mileage can I expect?

Thank you.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Kromke said:
I just bought an 88 sailfish 25 ft with twin 200 HPDI's...

What kind of mileage can I expect?

Thank you.

Depends upon the conditions but you should be able to see 2.

Who said the SSII weren't good engines? The OX-66's were better than the carb generation concerning fuel consumption and a little less smokey but either version should hit 1500 - 2000 hours with good maint.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is hard to guess but it should be close in comparison to the 265 express with 200 HPDI's, your best mpg should be maybe 1.7mpg at best, but I'd say more like 1.5mpg which for a boat that size and with that beam is very good. It will vary with conditions and how you trim the boat out, but if you have twins you have the fuel management, hit mode on the fuel management guage and it will show you what you are getting in mpg. This will help you find your correct trim angle when running and your best fuel burn. As you trim the engines up and down you can watch your fuel burn and mpg change, most Grady's like to run somewhere between fluch with the water plane and maybe 2-3 degrees up depending on the boat. When fully down you have a negative angle of trim for the engines, this will KILL fuel economy and the only time you should really have them down is to troll slower or if seas are nasty and your engines are cavitating, otherwise keep them up a little.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The older Sailfish weigh less and have less "V" than the 265. If HPDI's can't get him close to 2 (in flat seas) I'll keep my carbs. I'm getting 1.5- 1.7's with carbed a sportbridge. As the seas go up the mileage goes in the dumper.

PJJR

Reaction score
Light
Powerful
Quiet
Reliable
Economical
Smoke free

The smsll block HDPI's are GREAT MOTORS !!!

SlimJim

Reaction score
PJJR said:
Light
Powerful
Quiet
Reliable
Economical
Smoke free

The smsll block HDPI's are GREAT MOTORS !!!
I agree with everything you say other then smoke free. I get a little smoke at start up and sometimes a little smell. Thats it tho, Overall I love them, I love them so far. A lot more quiet then I thought, fast, light, good on gas burn and strong. Very Powerfull. Overall very happy with them.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why didn't anyone mention the superior HP to weight ratio, can't be met by any 4 stroke now or in the future.

Talking about oil, a Yamaha 4 stroke guy reported he burned 3-4 quarts between oil changes. What the heck is going on !

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I like mine twin 200hp HPDI's....

Jim, there is an adjustment to set the oil volume at idle, I bet yours is set high causing it smoke.

I name my motors "His" and "Hers"...... hers smokes quite a bit at idle too...... planning on adjuster her this season....

Tim

SlimJim

Reaction score
hehehe, I am using Ring Free and PRI-G. And Yamalube!! I don't know about the Oil adjustment but I will ask my service guy. Thanks for the heads up Tim.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I can scan the manual for the adjustment area.... if I recall it is something that is checked annually with a feeler gauge and adjusted if needed...
Tim

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
I can scan the manual for the adjustment area.... if I recall it is something that is checked annually with a feeler gauge and adjusted if needed...
Tim

Jim has it but u does not know wha\t a metric wrench is, LOL :lol:

WHERE'S MY TEQUILA!!!!!!