2000 Yamaha OX?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used Yamaha 150(i think is OX), is fuel injection with about 350 hours on it. Any flaws or any problems with this model/year motor? The guy told me that he changed the filters inside the injectors??? due to fuel problems he had. Are any filters inthere and how dificult is it to change them? Is that filter change part of yearly maintenance?

Oh, need an answer quick :mrgreen:

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
vapor
seperator
tank

big silver thing on port side of motor

good motor

crap in the filters can be seen if you drain the vst and crap comes out!

seasick

Reaction score
My rule is that if I can't see it running, I want a written guaranty that I can return it and get my money back if it is bad. Is this an HPDI or a plain OX66? It makes a differerence.
How can you confirm the hours ?
Who needs to move fast, you or the seller. If the seller I would also be a bit concerned. At a minimum, absolut minimum, you need to check the lower unit for water, metal filings, and pressure/vacuum performance. You should do a compression test and perhaps remove a thermostat to look for possible salt buildup.
During the compression test, examine the plugs. If they are not brand new, you can tell a lot about possible issues.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
My rule is that if I can't see it running, I want a written guaranty that I can return it and get my money back if it is bad. Is this an HPDI or a plain OX66? It makes a differerence.
How can you confirm the hours ?
Who needs to move fast, you or the seller. If the seller I would also be a bit concerned. At a minimum, absolut minimum, you need to check the lower unit for water, metal filings, and pressure/vacuum performance. You should do a compression test and perhaps remove a thermostat to look for possible salt buildup.
During the compression test, examine the plugs. If they are not brand new, you can tell a lot about possible issues.

The guy told me if it doesn't work or i'm not happy he will take it back(i know him), motor is the plain OX not hpdi, i will verify the hours by pluging it to a computer(i think), i'm in rush cause i think i'm getting a heck of a deal(if the motor is what he says), lower unit i can check it my self, plugs i can check my self, i can do comp. test my self(should i look for any number in particular or close to even numbers?)

sickday

Reaction score
As the saying goes, if the price is right!

catch22

Reaction score
For some reason, on the OX66's, Yamaha outboard parts, (boats.net) calls the VST tank the "fuel injection pump". It's the same as the VST tank on HPDI's, less a pre-screen.

2000 SX150 TXRY - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

Remove the screw, (#36) at the bottom of the tank to drain.

If you think you need to replace the screen, it's #23... on the bottom of the fuel pump.

Here's some discussion on doing the filter - http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

You might want to consider cleaning the O2 sensor, (if it hasn't been done in a while). Imo, that's the weakest link with those, (or hpdi's). If the sensor is clogged with carbon build-up, at the very least it will run less efficiently... at the worst, it will run like crap, (miss fire, bogg, stall, etc). Outside of that, (and filters) the OX66's are excellent motors.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catch22 said:
For some reason, on the OX66's, Yamaha outboard parts, (boats.net) calls the VST tank the "fuel injection pump". It's the same as the VST tank on HPDI's, less a pre-screen.

2000 SX150 TXRY - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

Remove the screw, (#36) at the bottom of the tank to drain.

If you think you need to replace the screen, it's #23... on the bottom of the fuel pump.

Here's some discussion on doing the filter - http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

You might want to consider cleaning the O2 sensor, (if it hasn't been done in a while). Imo, that's the weakest link with those, (or hpdi's). If the sensor is clogged with carbon build-up, at the very least it will run less efficiently... at the worst, it will run like crap, (miss fire, bogg, stall, etc). Outside of that, (and filters) the OX66's are excellent motors.

WOW, thanks, i ton of info in there.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought my Grady in July with the exact same motor. If it's running and the lower unit is good, you're good to go. In my case I wasn't sure of past maintenance so I changed the water pump, pressure relief valve, thermostats, spark plugs, and LP fuel pumps. I also took apart the VST and cleaned the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't that bad if you have the shop manual. I believe all the parts were about $200 from boats.net. Also, (I know I'm going to get flamed for this) I disconnected the oil injection system and premix. Yea, you have all kinds of warning buzzers that let you know if you're oil tanks are low; but if that little Mikuni injection pump hickups you're done. With this E10 gas we have to run you also want at lest a 10-micron onboard fuel filter. I'm researching the Racor 2-micron now. If that fits onto the Yamaha mount you should never have to clean the VST, HP pump filter, or worry about injectors getting clogged. If the price is right I'd jump on it. I run the crap out of my boat and that motor purrs like a kitten.

seasick

Reaction score
100 psi or more is good. Below 100 and above 95 is OK. The more important thing is how much the cylinders vary. At 100 psi, I would like to not see more that 10 psi difference.
The 150 OX66 is one of the most dependable engines out there. It is a bit loud, uses oil and fuel at a higher rate than more modern motors but is stiil a great motor.