2000 Yamaha sx200txrx

dannyD

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Hello everyone. Today I took the boat out and went to a river restaurant on the Halifax river. The current is very strong and I'm new to this river, so it knocked me into the dock twice. It broke the small swim platform and I believe the some part of the outboard hit as well too. It was a solid hit and even the people in the restaurant heard it.
We ate and then went out fishing. It drove ok, nothing noticeably, but I pushed it to around 4500 rpms and it was doing fine, then the engine slowed down. I put it in neutral and it died. I tried to start it but it seemed locked up. Everytime I'd turn the key to start it, the gps would black out. I waited about 5 minutes then it started again. But now it had a raspy sound. It got on plane and didn't appear to have a power loss, but it didn't sound right and I didn't want to push it, I just wanted to get back to dock.

I have a youtube video of the way it sounds now. Any thoughts?? Could the engine hitting the docks so hard caused this? Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What does it look like under the hood? What does the prop look like? I assume you checked these things, but I didn't see it written...

There's definitely something amiss there. I'm at a loss to think how something in/on the engine could have been initially damaged. But there could be something going on with the prop... and espeically the drivetrain. Such as a bent prop shaft or a damaged gear set. Both of those could THEN cause damage to the engine, though. Running the engine further certainly would not have helped, though. Let's hope for the best.

dannyD

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Thanks. I took the cover off and didnt see anything out of norm. I raised the outboard and the prop looked fine from what i could see. they didnt take the boat out of the water yet because they were closed. I had no choice but to run it back, there's not too many boats out this time a year and towboat would have been a few ours out. I road it about a half mile at no wake, but i got on plane no problem before the no wake.

dannyD

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
If there were water in the lower unit, could that have caused it?

seasick

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Today I took the boat out and went to a river restaurant on the Halifax river. The current is very strong and I'm new to this river, so it knocked me into the dock twice. It broke the small swim platform and I believe the some part of the outboard hit as well too. It was a solid hit and even the people in the restaurant heard it.
We ate and then went out fishing. It drove ok, nothing noticeably, but I pushed it to around 4500 rpms and it was doing fine, then the engine slowed down. I put it in neutral and it died. I tried to start it but it seemed locked up. Everytime I'd turn the key to start it, the gps would black out. I waited about 5 minutes then it started again. But now it had a raspy sound. It got on plane and didn't appear to have a power loss, but it didn't sound right and I didn't want to push it, I just wanted to get back to dock.

I have a youtube video of the way it sounds now. Any thoughts?? Could the engine hitting the docks so hard caused this? Thanks

I am not sure what is related to the dock incident. The GPS turning off means the voltage dropped too low when you tried to restart the motor. That could be several things, one being liquid(hydraulic) lock in a cylinder but I have my doubts about that. The started could be dead and seizing when hot but it is not likely either. It is more likely that something got shaken loose when you hi the dock. Perhaps a batter cable came loose due to the batter shifting (just a guess).
If the prop hit the dock or piling hard enough, the motor would stall when hit.
If you do have water in the LU due to the impact, the problems wouldn't show up as fast as they did.
The impact could have stirred up gunk in the tank or filters.
It's hard to say.
There is a lesson here and we all have learned it: Don't approach a dock faster than you would want to hit it.
Hopefully, your problem is something simple.

dannyD

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
I am not sure what is related to the dock incident. The GPS turning off means the voltage dropped too low when you tried to restart the motor. That could be several things, one being liquid(hydraulic) lock in a cylinder but I have my doubts about that. The started could be dead and seizing when hot but it is not likely either. It is more likely that something got shaken loose when you hi the dock. Perhaps a batter cable came loose due to the batter shifting (just a guess).
If the prop hit the dock or piling hard enough, the motor would stall when hit.
If you do have water in the LU due to the impact, the problems wouldn't show up as fast as they did.
The impact could have stirred up gunk in the tank or filters.
It's hard to say.
There is a lesson here and we all have learned it: Don't approach a dock faster than you would want to hit it.
Hopefully, your problem is something simple.

LOL, Yes, you are right. The current on the Halifax is no joke.

I asked someone to look at it, but I wanted to get some clues before he came so I don't get taken for a ride. I'm ok mechanically, but i'm limited in knowledge about outboards. Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's really not much we can do in this instance, via a forum. It's all going to be mostly guessing. Looking at it in person is the best way. In other words, all we know is there is a "sound" coming from somewhere. That sound could be from the engine, or it could be migrating up from the lower unit.

Unsolicited advice coming next :) If you're worried about getting taken advantage of... find a new mechanic. You should be able to trust your mechanic.

dannyD

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
There's really not much we can do in this instance, via a forum. It's all going to be mostly guessing. Looking at it in person is the best way. In other words, all we know is there is a "sound" coming from somewhere. That sound could be from the engine, or it could be migrating up from the lower unit.

Unsolicited advice coming next :) If you're worried about getting taken advantage of... find a new mechanic. You should be able to trust your mechanic.

Thanks.. Do you have any knowledge about the mercury/yamahas? There one for sale an it's a four stroke. I guess there was a time when mercury was buying from yamaha and putting their label on it. Are these worth it?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks.. Do you have any knowledge about the mercury/yamahas? There one for sale an it's a four stroke. I guess there was a time when mercury was buying from yamaha and putting their label on it. Are these worth it?

Merc/Tohatsu/Yamaha... Yeah, there were collaborations all over the place - and I believe some are still going on. But there's too many of them to list as it wasn't as simple as (for example) "Merc bought all engines from Yamaha". Because it was much more intricate than that and it changed/varied over the years - along with it not being across the whole lineup.

Most all engines, nowadays, are good. It's mostly personal preference. However, a big deciding factor would be your local mechanics/shops and what they service... along with which ones you feel comfortable dealing with.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd look at the prop first. Sound as Dennis says either a gear or shaft issue. Might not be that bad to correct, but get it looked at asap.