Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Anyone have issues on this boat?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Kind of a vague question... are there any issues that you're having specifically or are you inquiring because you're considering purchasing one?

RaRa

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Kind of a vague question... are there any issues that you're having specifically or are you inquiring because you're considering purchasing one?
Ive read some say the ride is not great due to the step hull. Stern not lifting enough and docking difficult because water hits the step causing sideways motion?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ive read some say the ride is not great due to the step hull. Stern not lifting enough and docking difficult because water hits the step causing sideways motion?
What do you mean by a step hull? You mean the gap in the stern between the cockpit and where the engines are mounted? I'm admittedly not the most knowledgeable person in regards to a 248 Voyager, that being said I believe most Grady White models are going to have that style of transom as opposed to my boat where it has the transom bracket and swim platform. I've never heard outright from people that the 248 Voyager specifically makes for a rougher ride or is difficult to dock, though a few have said this about 228 Seafarer's because they do have the transom bracket and swim platform. I personally have never had this issue and to me it seems like most who claim that issue are just repeating what others have said, likely those whom also have never owned or been on a 228 Seafarer in real life. I think your biggest concern might be turning radius if the 248 Voyager in question was a single outboard as opposed to twins. Single outboards on a longer, heavier, wider boat can be a bit more difficult to dock, turn in a tight radius and so forth. Twins on the other hand, you can put one in forward, the other in reverse and go in circles rather easily. Was what you read from a member or a post on the forum here, somewhere else online, word of mouth? If from on here or somewhere else online, I'd link the thread or article so we can see what they're talking about and then go from there. If not and if it's strictly word of mouth... then I'd honestly take whatever boat you're looking at for a sea trial run and find out for yourself as opposed to believing someone you've never met before on something they might know nothing about. Hopefully someone with some experience of the boat at hand will come along shortly and give their first hand experiences, best of luck either way.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I owned one for 10 years. The 248 was available in a lot of different configurations. Mine was a single without a hardtop. It had its quirks like most hulls, but knowing how to run it helped a lot with the issues you mentioned and more.

Sound Retreat

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have a 2001 248 Voyager, no hardtop, with Twin Yamaha F115s. I love this boat. Like ANY boat, there are a few design quirks, such as access to the scupper through-hulls when replacing hoses or the scupper drains themselves. But for the most part this is a solid, well-built and very functional boat. I use it year-round for fishing the Gulf of Mexico out of Pensacola. I agree with Family Affair - take the time to learn the boat, adjusting trim and tabs, etc. I just replaced the engines with brand new 2023 F115s and couldn't be happier. The boat handles the Gulf conditions very well. I am (almost) always dry (unlike most days on my buddy's 22' Carolina Skiff center console!) If you have specific questions, please post them and I'll do my best to answer.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I c
I have a 2001 248 Voyager, no hardtop, with Twin Yamaha F115s. I love this boat. Like ANY boat, there are a few design quirks, such as access to the scupper through-hulls when replacing hoses or the scupper drains themselves. But for the most part this is a solid, well-built and very functional boat. I use it year-round for fishing the Gulf of Mexico out of Pensacola. I agree with Family Affair - take the time to learn the boat, adjusting trim and tabs, etc. I just replaced the engines with brand new 2023 F115s and couldn't be happier. The boat handles the Gulf conditions very well. I am (almost) always dry (unlike most days on my buddy's 22' Carolina Skiff center console!) If you have specific questions, please post them and I'll do my best to answer.
I had considered repowering our 248 with twins, but opted to move up to the Islander. With the single 225 ox66, the boat easily road bow high unless the engine was at the lower ⅛ of the trim range. I was worried twin 4 strokes would really make it worse. I had also wondered if 250 lbs of hardtop would help with that. What has been your experience?

Sound Retreat

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Since I already had twins it made it a bit easier to just do a straight replacement. I did consider swapping to a single F300 but in the end I couldn't justify the additional expense.
With the old engines I would usually trim the motors all the way down and use full trim tabs to get onto plane, then adjust the tabs and the engines to tune the ride on plane. I've only had a chance to get out with the new engines once (weather has NOT been cooperative!) but noticed an apparent increase in power as well as top end speed. Didn't need the trim tabs to jump on plane. I'll use these next few trips to learn a bit more. These new engines are a few pounds lighter than the 2000/2001 pair. I can't speak to what the hardtop would add, but my guess is that it would help somewhat getting over the hump but of course the added weight would set the boat lower in the water overall. I actually like not having the hardtop as it makes it a bit easier fishing.

Ettatouffée

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good to hear you are enjoying your 248 in the gulf. I am in Pensacola as well and looking for a 228 or possibly a 248. Will be 50/50 fishing and sandbar with the family.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good to hear you are enjoying your 248 in the gulf. I am in Pensacola as well and looking for a 228 or possibly a 248. Will be 50/50 fishing and sandbar with the family.
If you're considering the 248 Voyager, I'd also seriously look at the 232 Gulfstream. Especially one with twin motors if you're going to be in unprotected waters. Just my thoughts on the matter, of course. You can find them for quite a bit less than this one, but is just an example.

Reactions: Ettatouffée

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have 97 248 Voyager with OX-66 250hp and T-8 8hp kicker motor purchased from original owner in 2007. Has a hard top, bow pulpit and aux fuel tank. I keep it trailed and stored in an enclosed RV garage

Boat likes the motor to be trimmed up to top of range for docking and trailering as doing so reduces tendency to pivot on the motor axis. She is easy to dock and/or drive onto barely-wet trailer right to the winch rollers. Barely wet means my shoes do not get wet when I attached winch cable and crank winch 1-2turns to secure the hull to trailer.
It is used for fishing primarily - mostly Oregon off-shore running 40-50miles out for Tuna, and near shore for Salmon etc.

The best rough seas handling up-grade was the installation of the Factory Auxiliary 55gallon Fuel Tank into its compartment between helm seats. That installation moved 335lb of fuel out of rear 105gal tank into middle of boat causing the bow to ride down with less trim tab input, and more of the Deep-V splitting wind waves and chop.
Fishing offshore in Oregon means running directly into West and NW Swells approaching at 20-30nm per hour and lots of bow slap and free falling off backside of 3-5ft waves. That new Aux tank allows the Deep-V to better split waves in half for a much-improved ride and higher running speeds

Final notes on trimming for best ride:
Both before and after Aux tank, my Voyager likes to be trimmed bow down first with trim tabs to point of lite bow slap off backside of swells and wind waves, - then trim the main motor up until bow slap softens to cushy, and steering is effort is very easy.

Mine has been a great purchase, held up beautifully to rough use, and it trailers beautifully behind a 3/4 or 1ton truck.

The only issue was poor sealing of the transom hull drain screws allowing a bit of water intrusion to the transom wood core back in 2008. I oversize bored out the screw holes into wood core until dry wood was exposed and flushed out the drilled openings with isopropyl alcohol to draw out water from wood layers. After, I left the screw openings to dry out in the 90degree temps for two weeks, then back filled openings with epoxy resin and gel coating prior to reinstalling drain plug. Has been trouble free since.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My experience was similar to yours. Lots of weight in the helm area of a 248 made a night and day difference in ride.