2001 248 Voyager w/Yamaha 225 saltwater series.I I

FundTimes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Hello, Just joined this forum And interested in reading / learning about people’s adventures , tips & tricks. I have noticed that it seems like the majority of the 248 voyagers have a Yamaha 250 or twin 115’s . My 225 seems to move the boat well , I’m in Buzzards bay where the weather can change quick , curious if I should bump up to a 250? Looking forward to distancing on the water soon.

seasick

Reaction score
If it 'moves' OK, why repower assuming the motor is dependable?

chrisk

Reaction score
Hello, Just joined this forum And interested in reading / learning about people’s adventures , tips & tricks. I have noticed that it seems like the majority of the 248 voyagers have a Yamaha 250 or twin 115’s . My 225 seems to move the boat well , I’m in Buzzards bay where the weather can change quick , curious if I should bump up to a 250? Looking forward to distancing on the water soon.
I have a '92 24 Explorer that I upgraded to a 250 VMAX a couple of years ago. Awesome upgrade, wish I had done it much sooner.

FundTimes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
If it 'moves' OK, why repower assuming the motor is dependable?
It is very dependable , just trying to feel everyone out, if it becomes less dependable, I might need to go to a 250 for next motor? Thank you

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
A 225 sws2 is the same displacement as the 250 version. The midrange power on both engines is excellent. Compare it to a 3.3 Yamaha 225 4 stroke and you will be very disappointed with the 3.3. Compare it to a 225-300 4.2, that's a different story.
Unless you do a lot of idling, can't stand the sound of a 2-stroke, don't like mechanical controls, or must have better overall efficiency - leave it alone.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Generally speaking, sure, more power is nice. But this isn't really about "generally". It's about what matters to you - not me, not anyone else. If you're happy with the performance (use of the trim tabs, by the way, can easily make up for less engine power) then keep it. Upgrading to more power is spending an awful lot of money when it's not needed. If you've got money to blow, go for it! :)

FundTimes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Generally speaking, sure, more power is nice. But this isn't really about "generally". It's about what matters to you - not me, not anyone else. If you're happy with the performance (use of the trim tabs, by the way, can easily make up for less engine power) then keep it. Upgrading to more power is spending an awful lot of money when it's not needed. If you've got money to blow, go for it! :)
Definitely don’t have money to blow, thanks everyone ,

CharlesM

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have the original 250 HP Yamaha with 975hrs and have decided with the price of gas I am gonna continue to run here provided I don’t run into major mechanical issues. I have to replace the tilt/trim pump seals this offseason and its back at it in the spring. I looked at repowering and the consensus was the 300 Zune’s was an optimal choice but with the 20K price tag that’s a lot of gas. Haven’t sniffed any used i would consider. Service after the purchase is also a mojor consideration.