2001 250 HP 2 strokes versus 2014 300 HP 4 strokes

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
I would appreciate any feedback as to the potential savings I may see in oil and fuel if I invest in 2 new engines for my 2001 Marlin 300. I currently have twin 250 HP Yamahas with about 750 hours and they run excellent. The fuel and oil is killing me. I am looking at 2-2014 Yamaha 300 HP with 85 hours and a 6 month warranty on them for $15,600. They are on Outboard Price.com. Has anyone ever heard of this website?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You wouldn't want to buy them JUST for the fuel/oil savings. You would NEVER recoup the initial investment. $15,600 buys you A LOT of fuel and oil. The savings in fuel/oil should be looked at as a "bonus" of getting 4-strokes - or, at the very least, one of the factors. But to make that the main factor, which based on your post it is, is not logical or a good investment. However, you can probably get at least $4K for your existing motors (each). So factor that in.

Obviously you won't be buying 2-stroke oil - you can calculate how much you use per year and figure that part out. But on the flip side, you'll be doing engine oil/filter changes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. Either one of those engines could blow or need repairs. You never really know. For me, I'm happy to pay the fuel bill as I'm using the boat.

seasick

Reaction score
As several have stated, $15k is a lot of gas and oil. There is no economic advantage to new motors at that price just to get an improvement in fuel economy. Assuming you have the $15K, put the money in a reasonable yield money market account and use the monthly interest towards gas!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds like a reasonable way to upgrade to 4 stroke technology and to get a pair of engines that are 13 years younger than your current setup. Good investment but fuel savings is just one of the benefits. You don't hear to many people saying they wished they stayed with 2 strokes over 4 strokes!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hate to be Deb Downer, but if someone is selling 2 f300's for that price, you might want to ask if he is related to a Nigerian prince. $15,600 each is almost a price too good to be true. Buyer beware!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
$15,600 for the pair? I would be all over that just for the peace of mind of having 3 year old engines VS 18 year old ones. Of course it would be great to have somebody look at them first.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You wouldn't want to buy them JUST for the fuel/oil savings. You would NEVER recoup the initial investment. $15,600 buys you A LOT of fuel and oil. The savings in fuel/oil should be looked at as a "bonus" of getting 4-strokes - or, at the very least, one of the factors. But to make that the main factor, which based on your post it is, is not logical or a good investment. However, you can probably get at least $4K for your existing motors (each). So factor that in.

Obviously you won't be buying 2-stroke oil - you can calculate how much you use per year and figure that part out. But on the flip side, you'll be doing engine oil/filter changes.

I actually did a spreadsheet on the ROI of buying brand new 4 strokes vs my 1 mpg 2000 OX66 225s.
I won't run thru the whole thing now but it worked out paying for the motors over 12 years. Plus you get new motors and have fewer repairs due to age.
That was based on 4 or more canyon runs and 10 mid range runs and an average inshore season

As fo the F300s for sale- Didn't I hear on this forum that the F300s have a recurring problem? or was that F350s?

Fishtales

Reaction score
F350s have flywheel issues. I'd stay with what you have but that's just me.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I actually did a spreadsheet on the ROI of buying brand new 4 strokes vs my 1 mpg 2000 OX66 225s.
I won't run thru the whole thing now but it worked out paying for the motors over 12 years. Plus you get new motors and have fewer repairs due to age.
That was based on 4 or more canyon runs and 10 mid range runs and an average inshore season

As fo the F300s for sale- Didn't I hear on this forum that the F300s have a recurring problem? or was that F350s?[/QUOTE

The F250 and F300's are great engines and will give you years of reliable boating.