2001 282 Repower

smattparker

Reaction score
I am looking to repower my 2001 Sailfish with 2015 Yamaha inline 4 cylinder F200s. I presently have the original 200hpdis and I just lost two pistons on one engine. Has anyone else repowered a 282 with these engines? If so, which props did you use and what kind of performance are you getting. I would like to use my HPDI props if that is possible. Thanks for your responses!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Since no one else has responded yet, I'll say that the I-4 200's will lack some in planing power/torque compared to your HDPI's. I've read that people like them so far, dependability-wise & performance wise.
That said, I would recommend the 6-cyl 200's. I have a pair on my 232 Gulfstream and they are the perfect match for that boat. I would certainly check with Grady to make sure your 2001 Sailfish can support the extra weight.

smattparker

Reaction score
Bump...Anybody with any real world experience with new 4cylinder F200s? Especially on a twin setup...on a 5500lb+/- hull. Considering the F200s now weigh near the same as the 200 HPDIs, engine weight will not be an issue, I just do not want to lose 10mph. Some dealers say I will notice little difference and get better economy...others say performance will be considerably less than the 200HPDI and I will be disappointed, called Grady and they have no opinion. Price difference is $32K for the F200s vs $40K for the 225/250s. Thanks again.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the new F200 4 banger on my new Pioneer 222. It is a great motor! You might want to call Andy at SIM Yamaha. 800-213-3323. He is very knowledgeable about Yamamha engines and would be more than willing and able to help you. He is a Yamaha dealer and guru. His e-mail is andyjr@shipyardisland.com A very nice guy who helps a lot of folks.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
If you can swing it, switch to Evinrude G2's. Certainly a different exhaust tone but worlds apart in engineering and performance.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1998sailfish said:
If you can swing it, switch to Evinrude G2's. Certainly a different exhaust tone but worlds apart in engineering and performance.

I'll second that and based on experience with the G1 E-Tecs on my Sailfish, would suggest the engine size of 200HO with the new 18" RX-4 four blade prop which was designed for the power curve of the G2. The HO models are tuned for about 10% higher horse power than the label. The 225HP G2 would work as well but there is usually a price break on the HO models. With the G1 200HOs on my Sailfish, I can hit 48 MPH @ 58-5900 RPM and can actually plane on one engine at 35 MPH @ 5100 RPM (and my hull is the older 272 style with the shorter running surface.)

Based on Tom T getting a steady 1.6 MPG on his 30 foot Marlin with the Evinrude G2's, the Sailfish will be over 2 MPG, possibly up to 2.25 MPG with G2's.

bc282

Reaction score
1st choice would be new fly by wire yami F250's
2nd Suzuki DF 250's
followed by Honda power (actually the cheapest option currently)
last would be Evinrude (not going back to 2-stroke tech, regardless of what they call it)

order may change slightly given local dealer availability and reputation (BUT unlikely that there is NOT at least one Yami dealer relatively nearby)

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bc282 said:
1st choice would be new fly by wire yami F250's
2nd Suzuki DF 250's
followed by Honda power (actually the cheapest option currently)
last would be Evinrude (not going back to 2-stroke tech, regardless of what they call it)

Three great 250's - do you think any of them will push a Marlin as reported here? Or plane it on one engine?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22953&p=140581&hilit=evinrude#p140581

bc282

Reaction score
ono, i would be more inclined to power a marlin with twin 300's rather than 250's.
a single 300 with the other engine tilted up and perhaps with a 4 blade prop would be possible to plane the marlin on one engine if you had to.
recently tested my 282 (very light condition with low fuel and only 2 guys) and was able to plane with one engine (f225's 19" pitch yami SS props) AND had both engines down. so with the added drag from a neutral prop may offset the boat being lightly loaded and the boat may plane with one engine with regular load--never tried it but might later this season if so inclined. Being able to plane on one engine really suprised me.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on two stroke technology but to think that the G2 is less of a motor or somehow less longterm value or projected reliability than a 4-stroke is absurd. The important think is serviceability. I there is a lack of dealer support in your area then I would move to the four stroke. FYI, the Yamaha HPDI and the E-Tec G2 are light years apart in technology.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Oh, one more note. If you are ever in CT during our boating season, contact me. I'll prove to you WHY twin 250 G2's on a Marlin is a great combination. The Marlin, when powered with 4strokes, needs the extra 100 HP to overcome low and midrange issues. G2's on the other hand, matched with 4 blade props are a fantastic combination for the 2000-2001 Marlin that has a max transom HP of 500.

Just sayin' :wink:

tilewave

Reaction score
hello, I see your asking specifically about the F200 4 cyl,, not the 6cyl, not the f225,f250,G2,or suzuki so lets stick with that. im looking into those same motors for numerous reasons. I have a 2001 265 express. our boats are similiar in weight I believe. I called grady and they said the 4cyl would be a good match for " me" i'll explain why later. also that it would be a direct replacement. I called Yamaha and they said 1. ask my grady dealer, 2. in my words not get on plane as quick "maybe". grady is putting these motors on one of their 27' cc and bowriders?? that weight similar to our boats. I will double check & give u the names. my yami/grady dealer owner has them on his 27' and offered to take me out. as far as prop goes im not sure . the 265 express had changes made in the transom area after 2002? to accommodate the heavier 4strokes they were now putting on em. I would have to do numerous changes to accommodate a heavier/bulkier motor, I doubt you would if you were to go 6cyl. these motors have only been out a short time so far I haven't read any major complaints.

smattparker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and leaning toward the 4cylinder F200s. I'm not looking to run 50mph but don't want to be less than 40mph at WOT. I was at 46 with my old 200 HPDIs. If you get any hard numbers, please share.