2001 Grady 228 - Not Mine

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just saw this for sale and I thought I would share, I know nothing about the boat but it looks good. Chapin SC

228-1a.jpg228-2a.jpg228-3.jpg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I hate speaking negatively about another person's boat, especially if that person happened to be a forum member. That being said, I think that the boat is a bit overpriced imo, especially when compared to how much I bought my boat for as well as the rest of the competition currently out there. I bought my boat in October of 2021 back in Maryland for $26.5k, of which she's a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with the factory style hardtop, a 2004 Yamaha F225 that has just under 1k hours on her, a 2009 aluminum I-beam bunk style trailer, a basic Garmin 7" touchscreen display and so on. The essentially brand new trailer that this particular boat comes with would definitely be a perk, as would it also appears that this boat hasn't been bottom painted before. Which, depending on if you wanted a boat without bottom paint, that could be another perk as well, but again imo not for another $15k more than what I paid for my boat. Just my opinion of course and again I'm not trying to bash on anyone's boat. If the owner is a forum member or not, I wish them good luck with the sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: STRMH8TR

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have a 228 and totally agree. No hardtop, Motor is over 20 years old and Yamaha 4 strokes of that era are notorious for the internal corrosion issue.
I hope he gets it cause it only helps me.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I looked at this boat again today, he moved it to a new location. $35,000.00 OBO.
How does one know if it has the corrosion issues? Scope it?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I looked at this boat again today, he moved it to a new location. $35,000.00 OBO.
How does one know if it has the corrosion issues? Scope it?
Indeed... drop the lower unit and looking up there to see if there are any issues, or you could have a mobile mechanic/Yamaha tech come out and look at it for you. I personally wouldn't even be interested in the boat at $35k though, considering what I bought my boat for. Again, I'm not trying to bash on anyone's boat, just thinking back on what I paid for my boat and what I got with it compared to this, and for almost $10k less than his $35k asking price.