2001 HPDI Fuel Management System

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hello all. I was running the boat this weekend and noticed that the fuel management system for my 2001 200 hp HPDI's was only totalling fuel consumption for 1 motor. When operating normally, in the "Econ" mode, it will display a "P" and and "S", indicating it is tallying both port and starboard motors. The "Set" button allows you to select "P", "S", or "P and S". Now, the "Set" button does not do that. I know the "Set" button still is working because I can reset the total gallons used "TTL" by pressing both the "set" button and the "mode" button, as is normal. It is as if the system now does not recognize that there are two motors. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Mike

seasick

Reaction score
It seems like the interface to one motor is not working. The SET for the tank does not need data from the motors the motors. My first action would be to examine the harness connectors at the suspect motor as well as the connections at the helm. It is also possible that the system doesn't know anymore that there are two motors. Do any functions work for that motor?
If there is a separate fuel flow sensor for each motor, I would check that out too.

Reactions: Gullchaser

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One sensor may be internally stuck from old age/ etc. Can you read each motor individually? My sensors are slow to move particularly at low speed.

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Thank you for the reply. I have it narrowed down to the port engine. With the starboard engine off, I get no fuel consumption reading. The system is not recognizing input from the port engine. A friend told me he had similar problems and it turned out to be a corroded connector at the sensor. I'm hoping that is the ticket. Planning on pulling it apart over the winter. I'll report back with the findings.