2001 twin yamaha 250 salwaterseries are they good motors?

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
what does .everyone think of this motor. I have a 25 ft grady white kingfish. they will go on a bracket. Just want to know everyones thoughts, eventually I will be getting yamaha 4 strokes but I do not have enough money for those right now. How they run gas consumption and if they are a good motor.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
500 HP on a Kingfish? Isn't that about 100 over the rated? Aside from the debate which will probably follow about going over the rated HP, are you sure the transom and stringers are 100% solid?

Anyway, they're OX66's right? OX's are strong reliable motors but a little thirsty. Be sure to clean/change ALL the filters (there's quitle a few).

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:
500 HP on a Kingfish? Isn't that about 100 over the rated? Aside from the debate which will probably follow about going over the rated HP, are you sure the transom and stringers are 100% solid?

Anyway, they're OX66's right? OX's are strong reliable motors but a little thirsty. Be sure to clean/change ALL the filters (there's quitle a few).

it had twin 250 mercruiser on it before. The transom has been rebuilt and red did some of the stringers rest are 100% solid

gw204

Reaction score
I/O and inboard boats don't usually have max HP ratings....so nothing to worry about there.

If your transom and stringers are designed/built to handle the load, bolt 'em on. But I would make sure you can get insurance first.

What bracket are you using?

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:
I/O and inboard boats don't usually have max HP ratings....so nothing to worry about there.

If your transom and stringers are designed/built to handle the load, bolt 'em on. But I would make sure you can get insurance first.

hermco is going make it for us

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
He does a nice bracket.

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:

already have insurance and my insurance agent said as soon as I switch the engines to let her know and she will switch it.

bigfish1229

Reaction score
THOSE ARE BAD ASS MOTORS IMHO. I OWN 4 OF THEM A PAIR OF 250'S AND 2 VMAX'S ALL HAVE WELL OVER 2000 HRS ON THEM AND I RUN THE PISS OUT OF THEM SO I THINK IT WILL MAKE FOR A NICE SETUP FOR YOU

Gary M

Reaction score
Make sure that you have the O2 Sensors serviced/cleaned regularly!

My 2001 Marlin with twin 250/OX-66s gets about 20% better economy than my 1994 27 Sailfish did with 225 carbed Ocean-Pros!

Cardinal Coug

Reaction score
250 OX 66

I just bought a boat with a 250 OX so this is an ideal thread for me as well. It does seem a little thirsty but does have a nice wide "most efficent" spectrum with my boat. Anywhere from 4000 to 5500 rpms seems to give the same mpg. This motor only has 200 hours despite being a 1999. Wasn't used much. The O2 has been changed once recently but how often do they need to be changed when you say often.

3rd Day

Reaction score
That is an excellent motor. I ran 1 on a 22" (other brand boat) for 3 years prior to getting a Grady and loved it. According to the Navman, trolling about 2 gallons an hour and at cruise, 10-12 GPH. I used the Ringfree and found that it clogged up the O2 sensor. I stopped with the Ringfree and continued using the Yamalube and only cleaned the sensor once a season. Good luck.