2001 yamaha

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
what to check on twin 2001 yamaha 150(1150hours each) without surveyor, im trying to buy 2001 gulfstream

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Assuming 2 strokes, even compression around 110-120psi and all cylinders within 10% on each motor, look at the plugs when you take them off and they should all look the same. Going for a ride if you can and making sure they do not hesitate and come up to full RPMs, 5500+/-. If you buy it with 2 stokes I always like to send the injectors out and do all the fuel filters, even the hard to get to ones, on a new to me boat.

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
thank you so much,what it means "sending injectors out" ?

seasick

Reaction score
What to look out for depends on the model of the motor. Your 150 could be carbed or injected. The model number should be printed on a decal stuck on the engine bracket
Examining the lower units oil and doing a pressure test on the LUs is highly recommended. A compression test is critical also.
Note that on those motors, cylinders 5 and 6 have a slightly lower compresson ratio and will read slightly lower compression than the other 4 cylinders.

Although a survey is something that should be done, a hull survey doesn't usually include a motor inspection. You need a qualified mechanic to do that.
I always tell potential buyers that they don't need a survey and motor inspection if they wouldn't feel too bad if the boat turned out to be junk and worthless. If loosing your investment is going to hurt, spend the money for a survey and motor inspection.

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
thank you so much the motors are 150 hp hpdi with around 1150 hours on both of them with majority hours on 1500-2000 rpm

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
To be honest, it’s a lot of hours. Not necessarily a deal killer… How long do you plan to use these engines?

when Andrew says ‘send injectors out’ he means having them removed (or remove yourself) and send them off to be reconditioned before reinstall.

agree on getting a mechanic look over the engines before buying. At the least it would be peace of mind. At best could save you thousands of dollars and frustration

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
thank you. no idea for how long im going to use these engines i know i need engine surveyor or mechanic to check them out .Boat is in pompano beach ,fl