2002 228G aux fuel tank

jpbyrne1

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently purchased the 228G and I'm looking into the possibility of retro install of the aux fuel tank that was not ordered when the boat was new. Any ideas on where to get a tank or the dimensions to have one fabicated? I'm in the Cape May, NJ area. I would like to do it this winter if it fits the budget.

Thanks!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replaced both my tanks on my 228 with originals from FMT, Florida Marine Tanks. They were pricey but exact replacement for what I removed.

You should be able to get the auxiliary tank specs from Grady Customer Service and check with a fabricator local to you.

20190929_101309.jpg

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
SP Sheet Metal was in Barnegat a did a great job on fabricating a tank for my ‘76 Mako in 2016. Easy to work with. Can’t say the same about the install process but the getting the tank was the easy part of that project. I understand they’ve since moved to Cape May County, somewhere along RT9. I’m planning on replacing the main tank this winter on my ‘99 Seafarer and will go to them again. Looking at the invoice from the 2016 Mako project, it looks like their email address is (was) www.sptanks.com or info@spyanks.com. Good Luck.

Greyduk

Reaction score
FWIW I had Grady send me the dimensions for the 56 gallon aux tank for my 2000 226. I would think that would be the same as yours.

56 Gal Fuel Tank.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just noticed the other day that my 2000 had the fuel and vent lines for the aux installed, and capped off under the deck. My '93 has an extra fill line run along side the original.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replaced both my tanks on my 228 with originals from FMT, Florida Marine Tanks. They were pricey but exact replacement for what I removed.

You should be able to get the auxiliary tank specs from Grady Customer Service and check with a fabricator local to you.

View attachment 16458
Did you have to do some surgery to get the aux. out?
I'm thinking of installing an aux. tank. Should I be looking at a tank a bit narrower?

View attachment 16458
I am looking at installing an aux. tank. I now have dimensions. Thanks Greyduk.
Will that drop in as is, or I should I go slightly narrower to eliminate any surgery?
How about lengthwise?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Surgery was minor on the auxiliary tank, maybe a 1/4" off each side with a belt sander. New tank dropped right in. You can zoom in on this pic and see the edges where I sanded it down.

20190404_162958.jpg20190404_164803.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FMT, RDS (in Perry FL) etc all have the specs.

Besides the tank, you will need a fill and vent assembly and hose as well as needing to cut a hole next to the existing fill to add the second fill. You will also need to plumb the second tank to a Y-valve in the bilge near the fuel filter, which will enable you to manually switch the flow between tanks. Finally, you will need to tap into the existing harness and add a switch (or use an extra switch at the dash) to be able to switch the fuel gauge to reflect which tank you want it to read. I'm pretty sure the factory harness has the extra wires which aren't being used right now. You would have to find them (GW can send you a PDF owners manual which has the schematic for the boat) and then you can tap in.

Sully4755

Reaction score
Patriot Marine Fabrication in Forked River NJ made the main tank for my Seafarer. Paul had all the dimensions and tank was a exact fit, Quality work. 93 Gallon tank was $792.00.

Mike 813

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am having my 150 main and my 52 aux replaced. Capeway Welding and New England Propeller in Plymouth MA 800-635-9504 ask for Ron they definitely know what they are doing and havee a great reputation in the NE.