2002 Express 330 with 900HP! (Not Mine)

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not my listing but thought I would pass along. I believe max HP on the 2002 model year was 500? This thing must have a top mph in the 60s! Not sure how you would get it insured though. Anyone know this boat and have more info?

Reactions: ECO and Pat Hurley

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
That's a damn nice boat.

The Sea-Dek ain't my thing, though.

I would be very curious as to how a insurance would be handled. I wonder if some sort of "approval" can be garnered. I always find the HP issue/question interesting. There are 21 foot bass boats with 350 HP, so why would 900 on a 15,000 pound boat be an issue (other than whether the transom can support the weight/stress).

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. And if you look at the current model year Canyon 336 it has the same hull as the 330 and is rated for 900hp but can accommodate triples whereas the 330 can only hold twin outboards. The only difference between the two hulls is the transom design. Per Grady-White customer service:

"The difference between the 330 and the 336 is not a weight related, but rather design related. The 336 has undergone a change in the deck to accommodate the ability to have triple engines. The 330 still features a bump out on the aft deck in the motor well that will prevent an engine from being able to trim up (see below). So, as of right now, it is not possible to have a 330 rigged for triple engine set up.
Great eye on noticing the information. Aside from that bump out, I think the 330 would be a great candidate for triple 300s as well. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with."
That's a damn nice boat.

The Sea-Dek ain't my thing, though.

I would be very curious as to how a insurance would be handled. I wonder if some sort of "approval" can be garnered. I always find the HP issue/question interesting. There are 21 foot bass boats with 350 HP, so why would 900 on a 15,000 pound boat be an issue (other than whether the transom can support the weight/stress).

Reactions: ECO

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wow, that boat has had a lot of custom work done to it.

On repowering an older 330, there were a number of smaller changes along the way, and it's not just the transom. In my early 330, there is even a factory 'fix' to reinforce the midships stringers. Remember that in the early 2000s they were rigging these with twin 225s/250s so there was a big effort on saving weight throughout the boat.

I have twin 300s on mine and not worried about it, but triples is a big change from the original.

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wonder how hard it is to insure knowing hull is rated for much less hp.

Reactions: ECO

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that HP ratings are really based on the weight carrying capacity of the hull, based on current engines in production, rather than a power or speed calculation.

seasick

Reaction score
I think that HP ratings are really based on the weight carrying capacity of the hull, based on current engines in production, rather than a power or speed calculation.
Weight per se is not one of critical factors. Transom construction and hull strength strength are some of the more critical factors. That said, exceeding the max hp rating for a specific model of boat is a bad idea for many reasons. Liability is an issue. Overpowering a boat can be deemed a reckless action and as such, the owner could be held liable in a lawsuit or criminal proceeding..

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Considering a brand new GW 330 Express with twin Yamaha F425's on it burns about 78 gph of fuel at WOT, I imagine with triple 300's that this thing has got to be burning close to 100 gph of fuel at full speed. Definitely a clean, nice looking boat although it's a bit out of my price range as well as my fishing/boating needs...