2002 Grady 282 - Brass Drain Tubes

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I finally got a decent weather window and completed the repair of my transom drain tubes.

Here are the crucial details:

-Tubes are 1 1/4 in diameter, they were sold in 3 7/8 length only, i used a saw to cut to 3 3/16, which made a perfect flare
- Once I removed the old tubes, popped them out with a variety of chisels and punch, very easy to do, i sanded the holes clean with small sanding drums on a cordless drill
-Resealed the wood with a cold weather epoxy resin, let that set for the prescribed timeframe
-Generously coated the new brass tubes in 4200, not 5200 just in case you ever need to remove these
-Once in I tightened down with the flaring tool i acquired via amazon (YOU MUST USE GREASE on the threads!)
-I really took my time creating the flares and let the metal rest in between cranks as I got closer
-At the very end the tool bottomed out and I had a little bit of flare left to go, it isn't perfectly square because that would be too easy
-Tapped it home carefully with a small hammer in one spot, worked perfectly, and doesn't look beat up either, go slow
-Cleaned up the area of excess caulk, and replaced the flapper covers with new ones from TH marine.

A local guy had quoted me $800 for the job, I accomplished for less than $100 and am quite please with the results. I'd have no problem doing this one again.

Also, if you happen to be in the Annapolis area I have the tools to do this job that will now collect dust for years to come.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Willy-C

Reaction score
Glad it worked out. I have found brass tubing in longer lengths if someone has many to do but requires putting on the first flare before inserting in transom. I use an air chisel (I call a zip gun) with a modified tool to creat the first flare.
McMaster Carr sells brass tubing that works, not sure if it’s the exact as the ones sold through marine suppliers but it does work well in a pinch. McMaster # 8950K831 is 1.250” OD x .032”.
image.jpg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did the same project this past weekend with nearly all the same steps. I used 5200. Hopefully I never need to remove them!