2002 Grady White Bracket Oring

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello, I have a new to me 02 228 Seafarer. Im trying to locate the 5" bracket inspection cover O-ring. I've emailed Grady white customer service 2x regarding this but they have yet to respond. Also, what year did Grady switch bracket manufacturers? The bracket design on my boat is different from my Fathers 88 Offshore 24 bracket.

Im seeing the factory brackets were made by "Gil" and then Armstrong later on? Or is that wrong?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Best thing to do is to look at the inspection plate for the manufacturer. That way you KNOW you'll be getting the right thing. At over two decades old and who knows how many owners, there's always the possibility that what's there is not original.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a 2004 and believe you're correct that it "should be" a Gil bracket, but I'm not 100% positive. I'd look at my boat but it's been on a mooring buoy all summer since July and I don't really want to go swimming in 50 degree water lol. That being said, I'd honestly just take the cap off when you're able to do so and drive to your nearest marine shop and get one that fits. Around here we have West Marine, Harbor Marine and several others to where I'd have to imagine that one of them would have something that would work. The other option would be to find your local Grady White dealer, call them, explain what you've got and see what they suggest doing.

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I went the route outlined by Mustang 65 with that same inspection port on the Gil bracket on my 08 Gulfstream and struck out. I only found the right size on Amazon after measuring the original and it took awhile but have it sealed up now with spares in hand. A temporary fix, if it's currently leaking and filling your bracket, is to fill the o-ring groove in the underside of the plate with silicone and let it set up. Then when you put it together with the old [compressed] o-ring it makes up for the compressed ring and makes the seal. When you get your new o-rings just scrape the silicone out of the groove. Don't overtighten the screws as it will strip out very easy in the plastic "nuts" they thread into. Most bracket leaks are at the point where the top of the bracket joins the transom. Sealing that with 3M 4000UV will do the trick there and keep all that extra water weight off the back of your boat.

Reactions: Thor's Outlaw

grady23

Reaction score
I got tired of trying to find the proper size O-Ring and the plastic "Nut" ring for inside the bracket is a JOKE. I purchased a larger inspection plate assembly. enlarged the hole and used stainless screws to secure the mount. Now I have a larger space to access the inside of the bracket and securely fastened inspection plate.

Reactions: Thor's Outlaw

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What did you use to cut the hole larger?

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got tired of trying to find the proper size O-Ring and the plastic "Nut" ring for inside the bracket is a JOKE. I purchased a larger inspection plate assembly. enlarged the hole and used stainless screws to secure the mount. Now I have a larger space to access the inside of the bracket and securely fastened inspection plate.
Do you have any pics of the finished product? Thank you!