2002 Grady White Marlin Head System

shamblesumd

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Have a question on how the flush system works on the head. It's seems pretty straight forward
I turn the knob and the automatic system is suppose to flush. Mine makes a noise as if it is trying to flush then nothing. And won't try to flush again for abut an hour. The seacocks are open. Is there anything else that's needs to be open or done? Maybe I just need a new one. Any insight would be great!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The head is acting like the seacock is closed - wonder if it could be damaged.

shamblesumd

Reaction score
Not sure, what can I do to tell? From looking at the diagram the head should be fresh water. Is there a shut off somewhere for the fresh water coming into the head?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My boat is a 2004 Sailfish and the head uses salt water brought in via a sea cock. There are two seacocks for the head on the Sailfish, one for water used to flush and one for discharge from the macerator. Both are accessible through an access whole in the floor.

Reactions: GW 300 Marlin

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My boat is a 2004 Sailfish and the head uses salt water brought in via a sea cock. There are two seacocks for the head on the Sailfish, one for water used to flush and one for discharge from the macerator. Both are accessible through an access whole in the floor.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Legend said:

Same on the Marlin..........

The only seacock that should be open is the raw water intake ( yes, it should be flushing with seawater) . The other seacock should be CLOSED unless you are far enough offshore to legally discharge the macerated holding tank waste. Is the raw water intake ( located near the keel directly below the valve) blocked with marine growth or a bad pump motor / impeller that is causing the overload to thermal protection ?

shamblesumd

Reaction score
Tom,

I think both seacocks are open. Would this effect the flushing? It doesn't look there is any growth around the seacock in the stern. But that's exactly what's happening it's shutting itself off. Can the electric pump be clogged? There's a impeller in it?

Kevin

Meanwhile

Reaction score
My 2007 Marlin is a fresh water system. I dont belive there is a manual valve, but there must be a check valve somewhere to prevent backwash. Perhaps that is corroded if you have a fresh water system.

If you have a salt water system, are there strainers after the inlet seacock? My other salt water systems have strainers so you might check those.

eppem

Reaction score
For starters you need to close the overboard / discharge seacock. It should only be opened for use (to discharge). Personally, I go to the fuel dock and pump out, even when I do go offshore and could legally discharge.