2002 Islander Fuel Tank Compartment Drain

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I realize that there is another thread about cleaning the exterior of the fuel tank, but I have a similar question specifically for a 2002 Islander. Is the the fuel tank compartment on my 2002 Islander actually isolated from the rest of the bilge. If so, I have a lot of soapy water in my fuel tank compartment, because I really rinsed the tank with soap and water this spring using the two access pie plates above my fuel tank. I was on my boat today and I don't see any way of viewing and/or accessing the forward or aft areas of my fuel compartment to see if there is a drain and plug.

Any information on finding a fuel tank compartment drain and/or plug for a 2002 Islander would be appreciated.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I received the following email response from Carolyn and GW regarding my question above:
Hello:

I checked with our team and they stated that we do not plug the drain tubes. We have not done that since the late 80’s, early 90’s on our boats. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Carolyn Ray
Customer Relations
Grady White Boats
252-830-8600

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Your fuel tank "coffin" will be isolated from the bilge that is forward of it since that fwd bilge will through the coffin (through a PVC tube) to the aft bilge. However the coffin is NOT isolated from the aft bilge - unless, as you discussed, you plug the coffin hole. So... yes, and no - the fwd bilge will drain directly to the aft bilge but from there it could backwash into the coffin if the bow isn't up high enough.