2002 Sailfish 282 back deck canopy, has anyone had one built?

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a partial great loop trip on the inland waterways, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama etc….since we are a bit on the older side of life the sun is not so much our friend any more and protection from it has become more important.

I will be researching the options for a cover/canopy over the back deck, from the existing hardtop to the transom. My thoughts are something very strong, aesthetically pleasing to the eye and removable. Tieing into the existing hardtop/rocket launchers and keeping the water out may be tricky. I think the best route is to have something custom made out of heavy gauge stainless with a quality canvas top?

any thoughts or ideas on this ? Has anyone seen a setup like this ? I’m not talking about a store bought Bimini cover, which are nice but not what I’m looking for.

thanks for any input

*note, I’m familiar with sure shade, just looking at options.

Last edited:

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks, DuckDuckGo has the same images. I was asking specifically about Grady 282 applications. .

Fishtales

Reaction score
I saw one on a Marlin 300 and the 2nd owner put it up for sale on the site. If you want a camper style, it won't be inexpensive to have fabricated.
At one time we thought about it but decided against it. If I felt I needed one, I'd get a different style boat. I owned a 282 and to be honest, I thought the helm and cabin were both tight thus the move to the 300. If I did a camper on the 282 or the 300 for that matter, I'd probably be looking at a bigger boat next due to the space constraints.

Reactions: sailUSVI

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi, I don't have one on my Sailfish but I can highly recommend a company called Birdsall Marine Design out of Florida. I've purchased several items from them on my current boat and previous boat. I have had custom bench seats made and also bought off the shelf merchandise. These guys are top notch, EXCELLENT quality. I dealt directly with the owner/founder Bob Birdsall and he helped me design what I was looking for. Prices are reasonable for what you get.

1668349064435.png

I see on their website that they design Shade kits for what you are talking about. You just need to give them measurements from points on your boat where you want it situated, Again they are top notch.

Good luck!

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sureshade makes a interesting set up…

60347BD3-8E9C-46E3-8BB1-1343D2CA08D1.jpeg

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have one on my 282 Sailfish. It’s nice, but it has it’s limitations. It (obviously) only provides protection mid day, in that as soon as the sun has any angle to it, the cockpit is exposed.
A side/rear attachment would be nice to move around to provide protection in those times.
My .02.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was thinking more of a camper enclosure vs a sunshade. If the latter, there are options but tunagrady has a solid point on functionality.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
OP, are you looking for a full enclosure or a simple shade?

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just a cockpit shade to shield from the sun and rain while underway, we wouldn’t be sleeping on the boat…we’ll maybe every once in awhile when hotels are not available.

thanks

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
ok;

IMO, using it underway (at speed) may be an issue if you don't go with something designed by a shade manufacturer and having a very sturdy frame.

If you are handy and if you just want shade when you are stationary, then I would suggest making something that hangs from the t-top and uses posts (see comment and link further below) in the rod holders and get's tied off (secured) to the stern cleats. If you are able to sort out the mounting aspect and draw a simple shade cover (canopy), then I can most likely make the cover for cost plus a few bucks. Example: Sunbrella is $33 for per yard (3' L x 5' W); other brands are about $15 yard. If you want a shade cover that is 9' L x 10' W, that would be about three yards of material ($100; Sunbrella). I have white, beige and black thread, so no cost there. If you wanted a different color; add $16. If you wanted nylon straps to fasten it, those would be about $5 per strap and the number needed would depend on how how want to attach it to the boat. If you wanted nylon strap reinforcing around the edges, it would be another $10 in material. I would budget for $150 - $200 in materials for the cover and $100 - $150 in labor.

For the shape, I am thinking it would be about six or eight feet where it attaches to the t-top and about ten feet at the stern; really depends on the size of the boat. For mounting it at the stern end, you could use a pair of telescoping poles (see link below).

FYI - I am an amateur, but I do ok work. (The price is right, though.)

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
ok;

IMO, using it underway (at speed) may be an issue if you don't go with something designed by a shade manufacturer and having a very sturdy frame.

If you are handy and if you just want shade when you are stationary, then I would suggest making something that hangs from the t-top and uses posts (see comment and link further below) in the rod holders and get's tied off (secured) to the stern cleats. If you are able to sort out the mounting aspect and draw a simple shade cover (canopy), then I can most likely make the cover for cost plus a few bucks. Example: Sunbrella is $33 for per yard (3' L x 5' W); other brands are about $15 yard. If you want a shade cover that is 9' L x 10' W, that would be about three yards of material ($100; Sunbrella). I have white, beige and black thread, so no cost there. If you wanted a different color; add $16. If you wanted nylon straps to fasten it, those would be about $5 per strap and the number needed would depend on how how want to attach it to the boat. If you wanted nylon strap reinforcing around the edges, it would be another $10 in material. I would budget for $150 - $200 in materials for the cover and $100 - $150 in labor.

For the shape, I am thinking it would be about six or eight feet where it attaches to the t-top and about ten feet at the stern; really depends on the size of the boat. For mounting it at the stern end, you could use a pair of telescoping poles (see link below).

FYI - I am an amateur, but I do ok work. (The price is right, though.)
That is a great offer!

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have been toying with the idea of mounting rod holders parallel to the hard top under the top and get the blue, fiberglass outriggers to mount in them. Then get some sunbella and sew pockets into it so the outriggers slide into them. Have to mount my regular outriggers first and see how much room I have left.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you all for some excellent info and recommendations. JJF, especially you and your more than kind offer !

I'm buried in projects at the moment and it’s hard to focus just yet on the shade canopy.

seems like the older I get the more busy I become, I must admit though, it’s mostly my choice/fault o_O