2002 Sailfish Drain Tube Replacement

anothertoy

Reaction score
Hi

My boat is going to be out of the water for a few days this summer and I want to tackle replacing the splashwell brass drain tubes that are failing. I have read through all the threads and want to be sure I have all the required parts and equipment before I start since where I live there is limited parts support.

I was planning to have 2 of the Moeller 021253388D 1-1/4" x 3-7/8" drain tube
I will have a Moeller 020704-00 or Seadog 520295-1 flanging tool
I will have correct caulking and other tools available.
At this point, other than hack saw, I do not have any other way to cut drain tube.

What I am not 100% clear on from the other threads is what is perfect drain tube length for my boat?
Not sure of transom thickness but seems to be less than 3". There is another drain tube supplier that has 3" length but not sure if that is long enough?
If I cut down the 3-7/8" drain tube.......how much do I need to leave to flange?
I assume it is easier to use the pre-flanged end on the splashwell side of transom?
Some threads have talked about heating up the drain tubes first - is this necessary?
I assume I should have 1 or 2 spare drain tubes available for screw ups?

Thanks for any advice on this.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A chisel and hammer makes removal of the outer/inner lip easy.

My advice? Skip the brass and go with white nylon. Should last nearly as long and installation/removal is MUCH easier. TH-Marine makes some nice ones - and they are adjustable. Just push/click the two pieces together and you're done.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Second the plastic ones, just seal them well.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All good advice here. Scrap the metal tubes. Epoxy coat the inside of the holes, once cured instal the nylons tubes.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Great advice, make sure you use epoxy resin and not polyester, to be fully waterproof. Maybe a Dremel with a cutoff blade to remove the old ones?

Fishtales

Reaction score
All (new brass, ss or plastic) are prob better than what you have now, but agree plastic is prob the best and easiest to install.

anothertoy

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies and advice. Sounds like I'm going plastic although the recommended T-H Marine units seems like out of stock.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another Toy: Why did the drain tubes fail? If it is simple corrosion or the sealant giving out, then my post is irrelevant.

On a previous Grady, both of my drain tubes cracked down the middle. My dealer said it was obvious that the factory installer used too much muscle on the flanging (?) tool.

I sent pictures to Grady and they covered the repair even though my boat was out of warranty, although not by too much.

Rob

anothertoy

Reaction score
Hi Rob

Long delay on response - was away on holidays. The drain tubes simply corroded away over time. Have ordered T-H Marine plastic tubes based on recommendations received.

Al