2002 Seafarer 228 repower

dutch45

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey all,

I have a 2002 228 that im looking to potentially repower. It currently has a Yamaha F200 on the back. It could use a little more power so Im looking at a 250. The 200 gets it along fine but a little more would be ideal. Ive been looking at a Suzuki, Marc, and Yamaha. Just curious if anyone has an first hand experience/suggestions. Thanks!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Having owned Both Yamaha and Mercs my preference is Merc but Yamaha are good as well, I have bad memories with Zukes , years ago ( 2 stroke days ) they called them anodes. If I was you I would hang a V8, 250 Merc, having said that I'm happy with the 4.2 lt Yamaha, if I was to re-power I would go Merc V8 300, my boat is rated 300 yours is rated 250. 200 would be a bit sluggish if you have a hardtop and 2 tanks full with gear and 3 on board.
I know Zukes are cheaper but they are heavier and they have offset shaft.

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have 2001 228 that I re-powered from a Yamaha HPDI 200 to a Evinrude G1 225.
Performance is great. I can run 35mph @ 41% throttle and WOT 46mph with a full tank of fuel and gear. Average 2.8 mpg at this speed.
I am still a fan of 2 cycles for the weight and lower maintenance cost. Also I have a very good dealer nearby which is important with any brand of motor.

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpg
    IMG_8280.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 14

UCPA111

Reaction score
Repowered my 1984 model Seafarer when I enclosed the transom and added a bracket. I don't know how you go wrong with any of them. I went with 300 Mercury Verado and digital throttle and shift, vesselview, and power steering. It's awesome. Am I nuts for putting that kind of $$$ into a 1984 boat? Maybe....but I love it. I have no worries about bogging down and the midline punch of the supercharger is crazy.

My boat is heavy...I cruise 28-32 mph at 2.74 mpg with 5/8 fuel and 4-5 big guys, ice, gear, etc. Top speed 48-50. Full of fuel, 5 guys, all gear I am at 46-48 mph. I run a 4 blade REV 4 prop.
My Verado is one of the last I6 models in 300hp made. The new V8's I have heard are more efficient. If Mercury is reading this, I'd rig a 300 V8 on for a comparison if they send me one! :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

So, +1 for Mercury. But, again, lots of very happy Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda owners out there (Etecs too).

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Do you have trim tabs and a 4 blade prop? Those might be a cheaper solution depending on what your goals/needs are. I’d look at the overall setup of the boat before committing the money to a full repower.

If you decide the repower is for you I’d worry less about brand and go with whatever has good support in your area. Make sure the new motor is installed correctly (height, prop, etc.) as a good installation will pay off more than adding HP. Bonus points if the dealer will work with you to dial in the boat and let you try different props.

Also, digital controls are sweet. The electric throttle is so nice to use and almost makes me forget about sticky throttle/steering cables :p

Reactions: UCPA111

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I repowered my 228 with a Suzuki DF250. I posted a lengthy analysis here:

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too, re-powered last year with a Suzuki DF250AP. Its a great Great engine! I purchased from Outboard Specialties. I highly recommend them and they sponsor the site too.

outboard-specialties.png

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My boat is also repowered with Suzuki DF250AP‘s. They are my 3rd and 4th Suzuki’s. My friend in FL repowered his Pursuit with DF 150’s. We are believers. I ran a large Johnson dealership in the 80’s So I’ve had a lot of exposure to outboards. All the brands are for the most part good now. Yamaha screwed up with the 350’s. They left a lot of people not so happy, but Their 250 and 300 are great. As far as fuel efficiency. Suzuki is tops. I post numbers that other 330 Express owners only dream of. The one downfall with a Suzuki was lack of dealers (Service). With the explosion of Sea Pro back under the direction of the original owner. Their are a Suzuki dealers all over now. And good ones at that. That still remains a problem for Honda. Not many dealers. The 6 year warranty on Suzuki is nice too. The other plus is price. You can get the AP fly by wire motors for less then the Merc’s or Yami’s.

dutch45

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the responses! Ive only owned mercs and Yamahas on my previous boats. Mostly small duck boats. I don't have much bad to say about either. This Yamaha has been giving me some fuel pump issues. I've had to replace them twice. However, I believe that was due to a fuel issue. This boat was never ran with ethanol until I owned it. Over the first 1-2 seasons I kept getting black sediment in all the filters. I pulled the sending unit last week and noticed the same sediment in the tank. The interesting thing is it was only under the sending unit seal, which is shedding into the tank. Im going to replace that and all the fuel lines. The tank is clean as a whistle. I do plan to run this boat for sometime so I was thinking up the reposer because I can still recoup some money out of this F200.