2003 265 / 225 Yamaha Four Strokes, 200 hour service

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have 170 hours on my motors and have made a decision to have the 200 hour service done prior to going splash next week. I went to Spellmans marine and purchased the parts based on the Yamaha owners manual for 200 hour service. The dealer tells me that the thermostats do not need gaskets when replaced? Just want to verify this fact with you folks. Also any other tips you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Dan

Tashmoo

Reaction score
As long as the covers come off without damaging the gaskets. I would replace them anyway, why thake the chance.

MiMarlin

Reaction score
tunateaser look up yamaha motor corp.
on the web, select outboards.
it will ask you model number,
year, and hp. then it will show
you all the parts and part numbers
in your motor. hope this helps .

SlimJim

Reaction score
How much is it going to cost you for the 200 hour service?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I usually do the 100 hour maintenance myself and leave the 200 hour maintenance to a Yamaha tech. I like to have the engine tuned and checked and for the price and time it saves me it is well worth it to me. Not sure when the engine was last in to Yamaha, by not having Yamaha do the work, you may not be getting updates the engine may require and that can void your warranty if there is any left. I agree with having the work done early, I would rather have it done early then late. There was a good report about a year ago about different marine 4 stroke oils, after 100 hours, they all broke down very quickly, some lasted longer then others, I think Yamaha's was in spec to about 110 hours only, Merc's was a little better, but I think it was Mobil 1 that lasted the longest before breaking down below spec. Not positive about that data, I am trying to find that report, but it is good enough reason to do all work slightly before it is required. I second what MiMarlin says, I always consult the Yamaha website before doing any work and get the gaskets or any other parts I may need for what I plan to do, a parts list can be accessed from the site. SlimJim, not sure of the actual cost, but it isn't very cheap, but to me it is worth it, these outboards are too expensive to take chances with.

Tunateaser

Reaction score
SlimJim,

The Yamaha owners manual lists all the parts you need to replace for 200 hour service and as GradyFish22 points out the motors need to be tuned as well. The parts over the counter cost me $498.89. The service tech is coming here to the house to preform the work prior to the boat going in the water next week. He charges 150 per hour.

MiMarlin, Thanks for that tip on the Yamaha website, I will check this.

I have to bring the boat from Mt. Sinai harbor around the Island to the South Shore to Shinnicock where she will stay for the summer. It's about an 80 mile run so I want to ensure these motors are in top shape and ready for the season.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I have the twin Yam HPDI 200 so I will see what they want to charge me. I wish you the best with your service!

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

I started the motors this afternoon and have a question. Both motors fired without incident and ran beautifully. I ran them for about 10 minutes ensuring they came up to temp. The starboard motor is not pumping water from the small hole at the base of the head on the starbord side of the motor. The water coming from the lower exhaust is warm and flowing good. No alarms went off, I tried the old trick to stuffing a paperclip up the hole to no avail. Still not flowing from hole.

The port motor is pumping water from the small hole but looks like it has a swollen prostrate as the pressure is low and not pissing like my Yamaha 2 strokes use to.

Thoughts?

SlimJim

Reaction score
Take 50lbs mono and use that, you will need a few feet. Something like salt or weeds must be stuck? I have the same problem on One of my HPDI just a light stream and the other one is Full Pissing. One outboard Mech told me that they can use an air hose on it if the mono line does not work? He said as long at the alarms don't go off you should be ok, but that was with it peeing some. Not sure about NO WATER at all?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SlimJim said:
Take 50lbs mono and use that, you will need a few feet. Something like salt or weeds must be stuck? I have the same problem on One of my HPDI just a light stream and the other one is Full Pissing. One outboard Mech told me that they can use an air hose on it if the mono line does not work? He said as long at the alarms don't go off you should be ok, but that was with it peeing some. Not sure about NO WATER at all?

I've had some junk clogging the plastic fitting that goes through the engine housing. The water flow was just a dribble, but when the hose was removed, it was flowing just fine. Once the fitting was cleaned, no problems.