2003 270 Islander

Hound III

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am considering a 2003 GW Islander in Falmouth MA. I need input on a surveyor. The boat is outwardly pristine, but as with all Grady's I am concerned with the possibility of water intrusion and rot in the transom and stringers. I live in Virginia, so I don't know surveyors in that area. I have a survey that is less than a year old, and I am going to engage that surveyor. I want to get a second set of eyes on the boat. Overkill, I know. I would appreciate any input as to surveyors.

Has anyone used Thermography? I have had seven SF, and did not know the tech existed until recently. I have read and studied as much as possible, but I have not been able to draw a conclusion about its utility. Any input would be appreciated.

Unrelated Question: I just started using this forum. What is the trick for using the search function? I can't seem to put in text. Thanks

David

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Search on my MAC doesn't display what I type but it works anyway. You can also click on the search to a second level of refinement and even further by clicking Advanced button.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The transom should be "green board" by that year. Look for any signs of cracking at the transom. Under rub rail, inside engine well, along vertical outboard sides. Any movement back there is bad.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I do not want to post a name here on the public forum, but if you have an possible names I will tell if 'my guy' shows up. My experience in the area (Cape Cod) a few years ago with the guy I used was not good. Essentially a waste of money. About all he did was check compression on a 340 hr gently used Yammie. Refused to go out because he said it was too rough, (the boat's owner took me out), showed up over an hour late (called a number I told him not to use to contact me) did not have the Yammie software to read the motor's diagnostics, (cost me more from a dealer), charged more than he said as he did not give a discount of because of where I was launching, missed/failed to note some small stuff.. I am not sure how things are today, but a few years ago, surveyors were a month or more out for scheduling.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd check out surveyors on one or both of these websites, and then check out their reviews on Google to see which ones are good.