2003 282 Transom issues

Boni-B

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2003 282, just pending the survey and sea trial. I had a 1984 24 Offshore years ago and had to redo the transom due to water infiltration. My question is; is there still that issue of water getting in under that aluminum angle cap on top of the transom or have they changed their design? Any input would be appreciated.

Boni-B

captain swag

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I purchased a 2001 265 without power. Before hanging two new 225 optis I removed the cap (there was an unsealed gap) and found about a million dead red ladybugs. Vacuumed it all out and resealed/packed the gap with 5200, let cure and recapped it. minimal moisture had collected (the boat was not in water for the prior two years. All appears ok today.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do believe Grady still uses wood in the transom, although I think it is a treated type. If boat you are looking at has the same type molding as your earlier model did covering seam of hull with inner cockpit, then I would guess that that the possibility still exists of water getting into wood area of transom. I would contact Grady on this, and also get transom checked thoroughly before pulling trigger on it myself.

Bama96

Reaction score
Grady uses Green Wood XL in the transom. It has a warranty through Grady. It won't rot but can still water log just like a poorly sealed composite transom.